Can you still do the same activities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you actually. I find it harder to express my feelings in words. It's just nice to read someone else's post that says how you feel, but weren't able to express yourself.

I can do whatever I want to do. As long as I know the next few days I've got nothing major planned, that is. The sad thing is, there is a a real disconnect between my brain and my body. My brain thinks I can do anything, like train for a marathon. My body, on the other hand, reminds me it's only a grandiose thing. That's what I hate the most. I think, because I was 8 when I started showing symptoms, I missed out on being the sporty person I was meant to be. That is what troubles me the most. I survive though and try to do my best. Sometimes it just takes longer to do it and then recover.

I'm able to do the same activities that I could before, just with some modifications. I still run, bike, go hiking and do yoga, I just don't go as far or as fast. Using my level of pain as a guide, I'm slowly trying to build up to how far I used to be able to go. I also have to be careful of timing, because after I do something like that I'm down and out for a few hours-I can't count on being able to do even simple tasks until I've rested for a couple hours. After I exercise, the nerves in my legs also fire like crazy which causes muscle twitching and discomfort; sometimes the twitching is so bad that my legs visibly shake and it's hard to stand. Even though in the short term it makes my symptoms noticeably worse, in the long term I believe it helps me; it's also the only effective way I've ever been able to manage my depression and anxiety, it keeps my knee problems from really bothering me, and being active is what I love so I'm going to do everything in my power to keep it up.

At first, I could not do the same activities that I use to be able to do. Once I got it under control, I was able to live a life without it interferring with it. I do have times where I am not able to do certain things but for the most part, I can.

Many things have changed for me physically. I was forced to quit tennis which had been a lifelong sport of mine. It was a big part of my social life also. I kept stumbling over my feet, fell and cracked my arm. I had falls before but just ended up with bruises, turned ankle and some abrasions. However, the cracked arm scared me. As FM has grown worse over the years, I don't feel that I can play anymore and keep my body intact. I'm 73 and have tried swimming but my stamina is shot and the days after swim, I am almost bedridden. I'm very glad to see that you're involved in your friend's health problems. He is a very lucky person. It may not be just the pain but the chronic fatigue that overcomes some of us. It's good to keep him company now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back