When you are feeling low what do you do to change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexisfinch24

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
GA
We all have those moments where we just feel like nothing. Whether its from the pain, depression, or just life satisfaction in general. What do you do to change this? What are your little tricks for getting out of a bad mood? Share all you want because there are some out there who do not know how and, have no choice but to remain feeling that way.

I believe in positive reinforcement during those awful times that I feel low. I start telling myself that it will get better, that I deserve to be happy, and the pain will go away. Just to name a few. I also keep a gratitude list that I go over when I am not feeling the best and, it instantly reminds me of all the things I have to be happy about and I do start feeling better. Journaling is also a great way to get all the bad feelings out of our minds and, onto paper maybe allowing us to determine what is causing us to feel bad.

This is a great thread! I hope others will share!
I'm in a bad funk lately, I feel defeated and just want to be normal again...
Normally, to bring myself out of a funk, I like to spend time with my mom, watching some TV with her and just chatting all night... Or watching a really good movie... Sometimes we will play song pop against each other for an hour or two which is really funny...

There are several things I do to try and change it. First off, writing really helps. I can get my feelings out. I also like to read funny articles on cracked or smosh. Sometimes watching a movie helps me forget what is bugging me. Then again, sometimes nothing can change my mood and I have to sleep it off.

When depression hits me hard i try watching my favorite movies or going for a slow nature walk, reading a good book or taking a warm bath. I tend to eat healthier and drink fresh cold water and juices. I also rest a lot and sometimes take more naps during the day. Usually I can shake off the feelings and get back in the swing of things the next day or two. :)

There are a few things I like to do when I am feeling sad or low. I start by listening to a selection of my favourite music. My choice of songs will hold special happy memories for me. If possible I will go for a nice long solitary walk, to reflect on my mood, then proceed to "self talk" myself out of my negative mood. When I return home I switch my music on again, go for a hot relaxing bath, accompanied by a book. After this I tend to go to bed, watch a little television, then fall asleep. The following morning I usually waken feeling in a bright, happy frame of mind.

Nice suggestions given in this conversation. Thanks to all for their opinions.

When I am in a down mood the first thing I usually do is comb my hair,grab my make-up kit and start applying my make-up, at the end of it all I usually take a selfie; I think just seeing that I am beautifully made in the image of god always put me in a better mood and at times like these I always try to whisper a prayer to god.

When I am feeling low, I take a long hot shower, while I think over the issue, then I go shopping or window shopping after that , i eat my best meal and feel much better.

We all have those moments where we just feel like nothing. Whether its from the pain, depression, or just life satisfaction in general. What do you do to change this? What are your little tricks for getting out of a bad mood? Share all you want because there are some out there who do not know how and, have no choice but to remain feeling that way.

I believe in positive reinforcement during those awful times that I feel low. I start telling myself that it will get better, that I deserve to be happy, and the pain will go away. Just to name a few. I also keep a gratitude list that I go over when I am not feeling the best and, it instantly reminds me of all the things I have to be happy about and I do start feeling better. Journaling is also a great way to get all the bad feelings out of our minds and, onto paper maybe allowing us to determine what is causing us to feel bad.

I love gaming and one of the benefits of gaming is the ability to immerse you in any king of situation/environment you would like. So when I am feeling in the dumps or I am angry at some situation, I choose a game that will either make me laugh or one that will ease my tensions by enabling me to release my stress in a virtual world.

What works quickest for me is listening to some good tunes and singing along. Watching comedies can help, too. Being productive in someway however I can. I always feel better if I am productive.

I have learned some other tricks that can help. Think of your 5 senses and make a kit or fill a special bag of things that you like for each of your senses. eg: your favourite candies or a tea bag (to make tea) for taste, a picture of something soothing for sight, a smooth stone or bubble wrap to pop for touch, small perfume sample for smell, and a cd or something for sound. These are just examples. Fill it with whatever you like for each of the 5 senses. Keep this bag handy and even take it with you when you go out. If you need a pick me up or a distraction from your anxiety, then pull out your kit of goodies. Eventually, you may find that some things are more effective than others. I discovered that music seems to be my biggest ally.

Another temporary trick for distraction from pain, anxiety or feeling down that can be used anywhere is to look for 5 things from each of the senses. So, if you are waiting for a bus or sitting in a doctors office you can do this and no one will ever know. Again, I'll give some examples from sitting in the doctor's office: look for 5 different things like a picture on the wall, a magazine, what colour the wall is painted, etc..., listen for 5 different things like the phone ringing, someone talking, etc... pay attention to what these things look like or sound like. Do this for the rest of your senses, touch, smell and taste if it is appropriate for the situation. You might have some difficulty with the tasting sense, unless you have 5 different flavoured candies or gum or something, but you could try to remember what 5 different items taste like perhaps or look for items that have a taste to them, like someone drinking a coffee or something. ;-)

Hope some of you find this helpful and discover what makes you feel better, if you don't already have a list. :)

Whenever I feel low, I concentrate on the shortcomings of mine & try to get over it. Visit some calm place like church & spend some time there.

When I am feeling down I find something funny to look at on TV usually cartoons. It has been shown that laughing is good to increase the endorphens help to relieve pain and the stress along with it. I also will take a hot bath or dance some times help me to get myself out of the dumps. Walking helps also.

I normally turn on Lana Del Rey or some music to calm me down. Then I write as much as I can. Writing makes me extremely happy!

When I. Down a good walk always helps. Reading some funny jokes on the web. I to put make up on and do my hair if I have the time.
But my little girl is the best way to cheer me up .shes two and il just start playing in her little world .i have four wonderful children and each time I hate my body for this illness or I feel fat and old I remember what I made. Four stunning kids.

The things I do. When I am feeling really bad or stressed I watch videos on youtube. Something I know that is funny like Seananners. A good laugh helps me for get my problems for a moment and I am able to have a deep breath. I read articles about different places or people in the world. I like reading poems or short stories. For me reading the news stories or articles are interesting. I like hearing stories about finding treasures around the world. Sometimes just spending time will family and being around others that helps. I like being around my Mom. We are so alike and have the same personality. So for me I get along with her and we are able to luagh and have a good time. I have trusted her to be my support. When I am not in the mood for company I listen to rock/heavy metal music. Especially songs that have meaning to me in someway. Maybe tells How Im feeling good, bad or something uplifting. It helps me more then anything. Thats because I can close everything off and just listen to the words and the sounds. The animals are very good as a distraction because they don't judge and all they can give is pure love. I love them for it and appreciate sharing this life with them. I love playing with my dogs outside..Playing Frizbee and throwing a stick around. Gardening during the year. Especially growing my own food. Its satisfaction...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back