Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
Or
Hello

Please allow me to introduce my self, and explain a tale of agony and woe. My name is RoD, and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2010 after going untreated with symptoms for several years before getting diagnosed. As a male with fibro I have had to make a lot of adjustments to my life especially as it pertained to activities, beliefs, and life style choices.

The first, and hardest of my beliefs was that of my invulnerability to illness, and the superman complex of "I can do it all". These two beliefs would be used as a mortar to grind my moral into the nubs of failure. These combined failures would start to limit my activities (especially with others) since I could no longer fairly compete and expect to finish in a timely manner to be dependable.

The life style choices I work on daily, and daily I struggle with food since I used sugary carbs as my source of comfort in my non-diagnosed state. I no longer count distance as a way to compete, but I measure the effort of doing an activity. Who cares how far or how fast I can go, as long as I choose to go.

The hardest part of this illness for me is it's invisibility, and so when I have to go into the world on those bad days with a lack of concentration, and patience. I become easily annoyed through a distraction of pain creating a problem. Since many people will falsely interpret this as me getting angry. Which creates a vicious cycle for me in the world, and so I have learned to isolate and return to a loner status. Which has brought me to this digital conversation style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back