Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
TX
Hello, thank you for reading my thread. I just don't know what else to do. I can talk to my family and friends about what I am going through, but no one really knows what I am going through.

I was diagnosed with Fibro close to a year ago. Along with Fibro, I have Sjogrens Syndrome, Chronic Daily Migraines, Degenerative Disc Disease, Degenerative Joint Disease, Acid Reflux, and IBS. To make matters worse, I have 2 herniated discs between my L4-L5 and my L5-S1. I also suffer from nausea 24/7 and all my lymph nodes are swollen.

The amount of pain i am in daily is just astronomical. Its so hard to live a normal life that a healthy 22 year old lives. I work full-time as a veterinary technician, so you can only imagine the amount of stress put onto my body. It is impossible to get comfortable period. It hurts to sit, lay down, and walk.

I have played almost every sport imaginable since the age of 5. I really focused my efforts on tennis, cross country, and track in high school and just tennis and cross country in college. I always wonder to myself if i didnt play so hard when i was younger if i would be where i am today. I wish i could go for a run now, but we all know that that is impossible.

My Rheumotologist has put me on Lyrica and Cymbalta for my symptoms and Trazadone for a sleeping aid. I have seen no change. Trazadone is the only medication that works. We have also tried Gabapentin, Plaquenil, and Gralise...also did not work. I also see a pain doctor who has tried me on Zipsor and Tramadol...did not work. We then tried the Butrans patches which ended up making me feel really high and also ended up giving me a terrible skin rash...no bueno. I am now on Hydrocodone, which i try not to take as often, so i only take them when i really really need to...which is becoming more frequent. For my back, we have done 2 sets of steroid injections...they ended up making my pain worse, so no more of those for me. I also have a tens unit, which is nice when its on, but the pain comes back almost immediately. I saw an oncologist for my swollen lymph nodes and had surgery to remove one so it could be biopsied...negative thankfully, but they have no idea why they are swollen.

I saw a neuro surgeon today about my back and turns out there is nothing that he can do. The only surgery option i would have is to have my back fused...no way. I had a family member get that done and her back has been nothing trouble since. He didnt recommend it because there is only a 60% chance of it working, but with my Fibro it lessens my chances. I have never cried in front of a stranger like i did today.

Today I hit rock bottom. To think that i am going to have to live in this much pain for the rest of my life scares the crap out of me. Its hard to live through one day lately, let alone the rest of my life. I want to go to vet school, but I cant even imagine that i will be able to. I just wish there was something out there for me that would help. Help please!

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would suggest you read through the topic sections on pain and alternative methods. Also if you read the back posts in the other sections you might find some new coping skills and other ideas and hints to help you manage your pain using simple household bedding ideas or alternative ideas.

I am always saddened to hear of someone who has to give up a lifelong dream due to fibro. I think this forum might be able to help you by offering support and giving you a place to vent on those really bad days. We try to make everyone feel welcome and safe, and also offer the hand of friendship as well.

Please feel free to post anywhere on the forum and I do hope and pray things improve in your health so that you can enjoy life and feel better. The members have offered ideas on how to relax your muscles and cut out stress in your life. I hope you will try these things in your life and maybe it will help you. See you around the forum. :)

Have you tried Amitriptyline? It has been working quite well for me. Especially as a sleep aid.

I'm so sorry to hear you are going tru this. I'm also fairly young and with a lot health issues... I can't even imagine what you are going tru with those migraines and nausea on a daily basis! It's horrible! It's worse than chronic back pain, the mix of nausea and migraine is something almost unbearable. I feel so sorry you have to go tru this! It's truly admirable you still work full time! I had to stop working.

I wish I could give you some advice on medication, but I'm taking none right now (none for pain since my fibro pain is mild most of the time, when is not I just lie down, take a sleeping pill and go to bed). I'm taking a lot meds for other health issues tho, some of those meds make me feel nausea. I'm sure one of the meds you are taking is causing that nausea.

I sincerely hope you find something that works for you soon. Have you tried an alternative approach?

I used to be on amitriptyline for my migraines, but that had never worked. I just feel like my body rejects any sort of medication because none of them ever work. I have been wanting to start weening myself off of them because I feel like since my rheum started me on my meds I have gotten worse. So I'm not sure lol

I have been wanting to get into some yoga, but in order to do that I need to not feel so crappy. Once I get home from work everyday I want to just relax and lay on the couch. I know I should be trying something else, but it just hurts. It's a catch 22. My pain dr recommended doing aqua therapy but I don't have access to a pool and can't afford the therapy either. So I'm at a loss lol

While you can not do aqua therapy, you might try relaxing in a tub of warm water with epson salts in the water. It helps relieve tired aching muscles. Also try and look into buying a cotton or feather stuffed fiber bed pad or a thick foam one. I always liked the ones made out of cotton fiber which are 3-4 inches thick and lay on top of your regular mattress. (These are not regular mattress pads). They come in all bed sizes and help improve sleep as it feels like you are sleeping on a cloud. Muscles relax and stay warm, and it is soft yet supportive.

These are things I have done for many years that do work. Laying on the couch relaxing should be looked on as a good thing. You are pampering yourself after a long day at work. Try watching a funny humorous movie as laughter is good medicine too. Don't worry about what needs to be done only do what you can and let the rest go. I hope this helps you. :)

Wassonk515, I feel your pain! I was 22 when I first started having pain problems due to a car accident, only to have them made 100x worse at age 23 by another car accident (neither my fault lol I was rear ended both times... I'm a great driver I swear!) now at 25 I feel like I was a pansy after the 1st accident now that I am much worse... I am very worried about my future..... I have fibro, they are also thinking CRPS in either my back and legs or possibly almost whole body, herniated bulging and degenerative disc's in my neck and back, separated ac joint that healed separated due to Dr's not catching it soon enough, nerve problems, Allodynia, etc. On top of all that I've got a heart/low blood pressure problem (my cardiologist told me at age 19 that I would most likely have a pace maker by 25 (I don't thank God!)) and a mass in my pituitary gland.....

I also have bad reactions /side effects to most medications as well....

I know how hard it is to see everyone your age living life and to feel like my life is constant slow motion pain.... I envy the girls who get to dance with friends, wear heels, exercise normally, etc. I miss so much riding 4 wheelers, dancing, working on cars with my brother and friends, doing hair, shooting guns (for fun/target practice)..... I feel like everything I love to do has been taken away from me.....

I agree aqua therapy would help you greatly! The key is to find a pool that has water at or above 96 degrees though! Do not use a cold pool! I tried it but the exercises the therapist had me doing were too painful... But the pool was kept at 99-101 degrees and I loved being in the warm water, it felt great for my spasming muscles.... I would suggest finding a family member or friend who might have a hot tub you can use, or like 1sweed said, a bath with warm/hot water could do you well! I wish I could take a hot bath but I am too tall for my tub! Lol

I've found that these things help me relax/sleep a little better: I've got a 2" memory foam mattress topper (bought for about $60) and a 5" feather bed topper on top of that which I got on Groupon for about $75... Both of these help a little separately but when I put them together it was even a little more comfortable. I also received as a gift from my mom (who also has severe pain problems) a heated mattress PAD not blanket but pad* it helps so much! It's a huge heating pad for your whole body basically! I would highly highly highly recommend investing in any of these! You'll feel like you're sleeping on a heated cloud! Lol granted nothing really helps on bad days, but I can actually get a couple more hours of sleep now because of these! (I was averaging 2-3 hours now I get 4 or so sometimes more unless it's a bad day...)

Also try changing up your diet with anti-inflammatory foods and spices.

Please please please if you ever want to vent or talk, anything, don't be afraid to message me! I am 25 and know exactly how down these pain problems can make you feel!

Wishing you more pain free or at least more less painful days!
-Katie :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back