Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.. Back pain brutal!

Being new to to this forum certainly doesn't make me new to back pain.. I agree it is brutal..

I cut down a small tree today , picked up & raked & blew leaves & did a bunch of other things getting ready for winter. It was a nice day so ya gotta run out when it's not raining, weather u want to or not.

I slather on some topical pain meds take Tylenol wear my back brace and head out to do winter related clean up.

Then I come in heat my back pack take more Tylenol add more topical pain meds.

All the time I am mindful how I'm moving. PT has helped with movements etc. I know my limitations but I also am a care taker for my partner. I don't lift push or pull. I'm a scooter & drag everything with the garden tractor.

Sometimes take pain meds helps the back pain but the darn stuff makes me itch. So it's a toss up . Itch like bugs r crawling on me or just keep movin. Gotta get the hot tub fixed.

The sad thing is I know that I will have a badly deteriorated back in a few more years. There's only so much docs can do. It's time to hire it out.
Anyway to make a long story short it takes me so much longer to do everything. Baa...hum bug.

What r some of the things u all do and how do u manage the pain?

My shoulders are so bad I could cry. Pain killers and mind of matter can only take u so far.

I have the same thing and it tends to be worse when it rains, I hear you when it comes to trying everything! Its so tough I know somtimes I fill a zip lock with ice and I ice it for at least 30 mins its not always a 100percent but it really does seem to help our enemy is inflammation and stress so lie in bed and put ice I promise it will make a difference

gmckee, I started physical therapy 6 weeks ago for back pain that started in early august and never went away. I'm 31 years old, I shouldn't have back pain! My PT has a doctorate, going for specialty certification, shes AMAZING! Once I started stretching my back properly, I started finding some relief. And then we were able to determine that I'm waking up sore, not because of the way I sleep, but because after laying still for 8 hours, my muscles stiffen up. I've had bad posture forever... which was a problem in and of itself but as fibro set in, my lack of exercise made it SOO much worse. My problem is that with my lack of appetite & exercise, my back muscles have wasted (yep, at 31 y/o!) away to where they can no longer stabilize my spine. I'm 5'7 and 125 lbs, I LOOK "fit" but people who know me know the truth. I have terrible GI issues and eating is unpleasant for me. Food hits my stomach and instant pain. Rheum said she doesn't think its fibro related, though said my IBS probably is.

Does anyone else have stomach pain when they eat?

Bottom line- stretch, stretch, stretch. Even days you're too exhausted to get out of bed, stretching is usually do-able, gets the blood moving, releases some tension. I also swear by heat & ice, whatever natural remedies I can find. I do take muscle relaxers when it's bad but I'm fortunate in that its generally tolerable. Uncomfortable for sure, but tolerable. And now that I'm doing PT and strengthening my core muscles, I'm confident my spine will be stabilized soon enough. And that should ease the back & neck pain. If you can do PT, I HIGHLY recommend it. There's a study in Boston on the effects of Tai Chi on fibro, seems to provide relief for fatigue and pain. As much as we want to lie in bed just trying to cope with pain or fatigue, moving is the very best thing.
I recently learned that some insurances (my state-funded does!) cover a portion of therapeutic massage. There are only 3 places, all half hour away from me so its not really worth the gas & time for me, but maybe you'd have better luck, worth a phone call! Best of luck and know that you are not alone!
I definitely can relate to everything your talking about, as far as stomach issues I have persistent horrible gas pains every day and yes ibs and fibro are linked! I also have a hiatal hernia and that just makes everything that much worse!nausea when I eat horrible heartburn it is very hard to live with bottom line is it is either ibs symptoms or mabe a hiatal hernia! One thing more try greek yogurt it helps!

Have u thought about taking some antihistamine for the itch. That what I take when my pills make me itchy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back