Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
TA
State
Taipei
My cousin was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 3 years ago, whilst I developed trimethylaminuria (TMAU) symptoms. I was living with her parents when my symptoms occurred. Since her mother doesn't have a modern knowledge at preserving food, I have found something common in between us - gastrointestinal symptoms, such as irritable bowel syndrome.

I have a background of biological sciences and I have been reading a lot, trying to solve our problems since the medical system hasn't been effective. I have found "leaky gut", the increase of intestine permeability, being a convincing cause of our disease. Recent scientific investigations found "leakiness" of intestine allows the substances and bacterial toxins to enter blood stream and cause systematic symptoms, as well as the association with yeast infections. This increased permeability is often observed in patients with fibromyalgia patients.

My cousin and I have both found probiotics being helpful. She said she's much better off when taking probiotics daily and she now believes her disease is a gut disease. I also have once met a physical therapist who told me poor gastrointestinal function/intestine inflammation very often causes muscle tension and stiffness and thus shoulder and neck pain. Later on I have read Japanese doctors mentioning this link between gut malfunction and nervous excitement.

I have read through some fibromyalgia cases and many of them reported gastrointestinal problems. Actually IBS has been described as one of the symptoms of fibromyalgia, but I think instead of being a consequence, it is in fact the cause. Some other symptoms such as sensitivity to light and sound, shoulder and neck stiffness, are also the downstream symptoms caused by intestine irritations. These symptoms can be observed in autism patients too who also mostly have gastrointestinal problems. It's been proved that taking zinc, a mineral that is beneficial at intestinal function, helps the autism patients.

I hope these information are inspiring and you may give it a try. I believe that leaky gut is going to be the most important scientific/medical topic in the coming years since it is really the cause of so many untreatable and cause-unknown disease. I wish as more people are acknowledging this fact, the faster the scientists can find out the truth.

I would strongly suggest to have a diet with natural food, avoid gluten and refined sugary food. Probiotics help at maintaining a healthy gut flora and l-glutamine repairs intestine lining. Zinc is overall beneficial. Please give them a try. If you find them helpful, you can then continue on to help more others out there suffering. Wish that one day we will all be free from pain and illness.

*Some patients found anti-histamine worked well at relieving pain and there has been study going on it. Don't know if any of you heard about it?

Hi Jasmine, Yes, IBS/abdominal issues are discussed alot on the site; if you search those terms using the search bar you will see many posts already.

Other possibilities: herpes viruses; mitochondrial disorders/toxicity, and I'm sure there are other things as well.

The alternative therapies section has many suggestions such as yours; for me, when I had terrible abdominal pains--I would drink a glass of water w/apple cider vinegar and eat walnuts (which act as an anti-inflammatory). The doctor wanted to put me on meds--doing it my way I resolved the problem (at least I believe so : ) in just a couple of weeks. Would this work for everyone? Probably not.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for the suggestions--never heard of anti-histamines for fibro before, will look into it.

Hi Jasmine, Yes, IBS/abdominal issues are discussed alot on the site; if you search those terms using the search bar you will see many posts already.

Other possibilities: herpes viruses; mitochondrial disorders/toxicity, and I'm sure there are other things as well.

The alternative therapies section has many suggestions such as yours; for me, when I had terrible abdominal pains--I would drink a glass of water w/apple cider vinegar and eat walnuts (which act as an anti-inflammatory). The doctor wanted to put me on meds--doing it my way I resolved the problem (at least I believe so : ) in just a couple of weeks. Would this work for everyone? Probably not.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for the suggestions--never heard of anti-histamines for fibro before, will look into it.

I have had gastritis for over 6 months. Only things Drs. did was tell me too take either fiber or Miralax. Last week I read about Ginger Root helping with gastrointestinal problems so I started eating a little every day. Less than a week later, the diarrhea is gone and normal stools for the first time in 6 months. So I really recommend this.

Sounds good Marilyn; anytime we can do something dietary to improve our symptoms I'm all for it! Glad to hear its working for you.
I never had problems with IBS-D, only C...as awful as I know diarrhea can be, believe me, many times I wish I had it! So far I'm doing
occasional Magnesium Oxide and that seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back