Not open for further replies.

nomorepain

Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
US
State
CA
Hello I am a 28 year old male and just a couple weeks ago I was diagnosed with Fibromayalgia by a Rhuematologist at UCLA. To summarize my situation: I hurt my shoulder at the gym 8 years ago. Nothing helped (Conservative treatment, Physical Therapy, Cortisone, Surgery). As time went on I went back to the gym and after about a year my inner elbow started to hurt.... I treated conservatively with no luck and followed up with a cortisone shot (also with no luck). I barely twisted my knee (and I mean barely) and again with conservative treatment it never got better (its been over 2 years). About 3 months ago I went to a chiropractor to treat a muscle spasm in my neck.... after her treatment my OTHER shoulder started to hurt and still has not gotten better. I wake up with a burning sensation in this shoulder daily. The doctor says that all this puts me in the category of having Fibroymayalgia, but I feel like all of my joint pains have had some cause. None of these pains have come out of nowhere. I would GREATLY appreciate feedback from all of you. I have been put on Cymbalta and have been taking it for the past week. :?:

Welcome to the forum. like you say your joint pain had a cause from injuries, whether they be small or worse they could have irrated the muscle fibers and nerves. It seems that is all it takes to start fibro. To the most of us that have searched for answers it all boils down to, there are no answers as to why it develops in some people and not in others. When as you say, the pain did not go away with treatments, that is another red flag for fibro. Not to say you couldn't develop other health conditions as well from those injuries. Fibro does not make sense to any of us. We would all like it to just go away so we could get on with a normal life, but the chances of that happening are slim.

I am sorry it has happened to you, but glad you found this forum. Hopefully, you will find some ideas on pain management, as well as, ask some questions of your own and join in on the conversations and blogs. We have a good support group here and will help all we can in answering your questions and making you feel at home. :)

Hi

So sorry to hear about all your pain

Been there myself and recovered so speak from experience.

When we are injured a pathway opens and when we are stressed we often get pain in the same place and we recognise it as being in the place of an old injury.

People who suffer from Fibro usually have common personality characteristics so when they get stressed the body speaks to them via the pain. Pain is often an expression of how we are feeling emotionally. It might be representing some old stresses or some current ones. That doesn't mean the pain is imagined. Far from it. It's excruciating I know!

A good book to read is The Mind Body Prescription by Dr John Sarno

I recognise its an alternative view but please don't dismiss it. It's natural that we always look for physical explanations for our pain because that's our culture. Our bodies are so much more clever than we give them credit for.

Liz

Hello I am a 28 year old male and just a couple weeks ago I was diagnosed with Fibromayalgia by a Rhuematologist at UCLA. To summarize my situation: I hurt my shoulder at the gym 8 years ago. Nothing helped (Conservative treatment, Physical Therapy, Cortisone, Surgery). As time went on I went back to the gym and after about a year my inner elbow started to hurt.... I treated conservatively with no luck and followed up with a cortisone shot (also with no luck). I barely twisted my knee (and I mean barely) and again with conservative treatment it never got better (its been over 2 years). About 3 months ago I went to a chiropractor to treat a muscle spasm in my neck.... after her treatment my OTHER shoulder started to hurt and still has not gotten better. I wake up with a burning sensation in this shoulder daily. The doctor says that all this puts me in the category of having Fibroymayalgia, but I feel like all of my joint pains have had some cause. None of these pains have come out of nowhere. I would GREATLY appreciate feedback from all of you. I have been put on Cymbalta and have been taking it for the past week. :?:

It seems EXTREMELY rare for males to have this condition....... do you think that women just report this much more often than men? This is very depressing and I feel like I have no options to do anything :cry:

It is more common in women

Do you have any other related symptoms such as fatigue, digestive problems, food intolerances, cold hands and feet to mention a few.

You have loads of options and step number one is start to believe you can get rid of it. Another great book is The Great Pain Deception by Steven Ray Ozanich which is his own experience of getting rid of widespread pain. You can find him and Dr Sarno on YouTube

Liz

It seems EXTREMELY rare for males to have this condition....... do you think that women just report this much more often than men? This is very depressing and I feel like I have no options to do anything :cry:

Liz - I have always had stomach problems my entire life. As for fatigue, I am not sure. I have dealt with depression for most of my life as well, so I think a part of that is feeling tired from time to time. I can tell you that the cymbalta seems to making me much more tired than before. I just had an MRI of my right shoulder done. No significant findings, but "Very minor Subacromial Bursitis" :confused:

Hmmm. I agree with you that it sounds like your pain does have specific causes, though based on your descriptions, it sounds like your body is more sensitive to pain/reacts with pain much sooner than most. Based on the other things you describe, yeah, it's totally possible that you have fibromyalgia. ****That said, that does NOT mean that your joint pains do not have other causes, like the exercise injuries you describe. But the fact that the various treatments didn't work does point to fibro. Sometimes people who are more predisposed to it for whatever reason develop it after something stressful, be it mental or physical stress, or both, which is sounds like you do deal with both. My sister developed it after having her first child. I developed it after being on Zoloft (an antidepressant, like Cymbalta) and Seroquel (an antipsychotic) for two years and then tapering off. Because antidepressants are used to treat fibro, it could've showed up any time in those two years, and I didn't know because it was masked by the drugs. When I stopped taking them? WHAM.
*sigh*

I hope you find out what's up. If the Cymbalta's making you sleepy, can you take it at night? I know I couldn't take my meds in the morning because if I stayed awake longer than an hour or so after taking them, I'd get so out of it that I'd start slurring my words, and pass out if I were standing up. It was insane.

I am very frustrated/angry/confused and am starting to really want to kill myself. I just don't know what else to say. The Cymbalta is giving me headaches and has done 0 to help with any pain.

Oh no! Is it possible to reach out to anyone in person? Please do! You CAN get through this and things CAN be done to manage your pain and how you feel! <3
*hugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back