Not open for further replies.

FiGhTn4LiFe

Diagnosis
09/2006
Country
US
State
PA
Well Folks, I took the plunge and went to an appointment with yet another pain doc yesterday. He seemed to listen well and take me seriously. I followed a fellow forum friend's (sorry, can't remember the name) advice and concentrated on my most serious issues. (Neck and shoulders at this point.)

For those who may not know or remember, I cannot take traditional pain meds of any kind. They all make me violently ill. I do think he was surprised that I did not ask for anything in that regard and may have contributed to his taking me more seriously than most. Which is truly a shame for those of you who have good success with those types of meds. I would take them all day every day if I could!

One issue I had that I wanted to share was I think I may have been profiled during this appointment. It was odd. I have tattoos (very tasteful ones I think) and wear a lot of Harley clothes as my hubby is a big Harley/biker guy. Now, I don't take offense to profanity, they are just words to me. However, I do respect those who do take offense and know there is a time and place for it. This Doc dropped at least one "F" bomb during my appointment and made several other profane overtures that a lot of people would have taken offense to. I found it oddly cool and yet extremely unprofessional at the same time. Not sure I want my doctor to be quite that loose. I understand they are people too but think I prefer a more professional approach when you should have your DOCTOR hat on. What do you guys think?

Anyway, with all that said, he gave me some Lidoderm patches to try and a script for Baclofen. I can't believe there are drugs I haven't tried but I have no experience with this one. Anyone have any opinions/experience to share? I would greatly appreciate any feedback, be it positive or negative. (on both subjects)

Thanks for allowing me to share my story and I look forward to your feedback.

I've seen so many doctors in my life and I'm just 26 years old. I know what you mean, about wanting to find a doctor who is professional and behaves accordingly, but I think if this treatment works for you and the doctor is actually a good one, then you should really continue seeing him. He might not be very professional, but in the end the only thing that really matters to me is to find a doctor who knows what he is doing. Nowadays is really hard to find a doctor like that, it took me one year or so to finally find one, and sometimes i still have my doubts...

If you feel comfortable with him, and he's a good doctor (the treatment that he gave you works for you) , then I'd really continue seeing him.

Is he trying to make you feel more comfortable? A little more relaxed..showing that he is just a person too? I love drs that are like normal people. I don't feel as awkward with them....if his meds work and he is trying stay with him..most drs just look at you as a pay cheque..just one more to shuffle through. Like we don't matter..if I could have him I would my gp is unsupportive just wants me to stay medicated so I don't question my treatment..good luck with the new meds and the dr. If you are very uncomfortable keep looking for a dr. At least you have options..

I'm wondering if he thought that you'd be more comfortable with that language. You're probably right, he more than likely profiled you. It's good though that he took you seriously. I think that's one of the most important things.

I have to admit, I'd be a little taken aback too if a doctor was cussing in front of me.

Sometimes I think doctors will try testing your limits, like with his cussing would you stand for it or ask him to stop. If it fit the mood of the room, like you say it is kind of cool like he was trying to fit in to what he thought you would like and be happy with. However, if it continues to the point of being uncomfortable you might need to address that issue during future visits.

I am not sure how I would take it. Might be he is a great doctor so you can let it slide, or could be his way of being rude. I would see him again and see how things go. I wish the best for you and hope he really is a good doctor to have in the care of your health problems. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back