MizzDeeDee

Distinguished member
Diagnosis
01/2009
Country
US
State
Va
Do many of you have tummy problems? I was led to believe that IBS and fibro go together sometimes. I know that I have to run to the bathroom so many times that I'll get frustrated and want to do a liquid diet. There's no rhyme or reason. One day I'm okay, and the next day it's five stops to the bathroom in a few hours.

Anyone else dealing with this? It's not fun.

I have IBS issues, sometimes I have what I like to call IBS crisis... my IBS is a mix of constipation and... the runs, lol. It's very complicated, I was diagnosed with it when I was just a teen. It stopped bothering me a while ago, I just don't pay a lot attention to it... not the way I used to when I was younger. But yeah, I have a lot issues with my tummy :( Nothing has helped me with that, actually taking meds for other things seems to worsen some of my IBS symptoms. I suffer from cholitis as well; worst combo ever!

My mother, my sister and I all have what my mom calls "sensitive stomachs", but I'm the only only with a definite IBS diagnosis. My sister seems to have an intolerance to canola oil, and my mom is lactose intolerant (so her GP thinks). Neither has been to a gastro-enterologist though.
My IBS also cycles like Trellum's, and the cycle seems to restart every 2 weeks, unless I eat something out of my usual diet (which is nothing special, I just try to balance everything out) or get all stressed out.
Mayonnaise and caesar dressing doesn't seem to agree with me though, so maybe the canola oil rings true for me too... You never know what will set you off. Keeping a food diary helps sometimes to narrow it down.

I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with this. To be honest, my stomach problems started way before my diagnosis of fibro. It seems there is no rhyme of reason either. I could eat the same thing two days in a row, and one day it would be fine, and the next day it would upset my stomach.

I was just curious because I saw a graph where they have certain illnesses interlinked. Fibro, IBS, and Chronic fatigue were all listed as connected.

My stomach problems were solved through a change of diet. I cut out most of the junk food and stick with healthy foods. As well, I do smaller meals but more often. It's not very exciting, but it means that I'm having less issues and keeping myself regular. :)

My stomach problems were solved through a change of diet. I cut out most of the junk food and stick with healthy foods. As well, I do smaller meals but more often. It's not very exciting, but it means that I'm having less issues and keeping myself regular. :)

I wish that worked for me. No lie, I got sick to my stomach several times yesterday from eating carrots with some hummus. Today, I ate a hotdog, and nothing.

Makes no sense to me at all.

I think sometimes this IBS, is just another sign that our bodies are not in balance. I have trouble with certain foods, even the healthy ones. If I eat to much of a good food items that contain fiber, then I am making lots of fast trips to the bathroom. Kernal corn seems to go right through me, as well as, lots of meat products. Sometimes it is just intolerance and other times it is an allergy.

I stick with as much organic food as I can, but this can be a problem as well. The processed foods can be eaten in smaller amounts, but again it is a hit and miss with certain foods. They say to keep a list of what you eat so that it is possible to weed out the ones that keep you close to the bathroom, but even that is hard to do, the weeding out part. Figuring out what you can and can not eat.

This whole fibro illness puts a damper on the things we would drather be doing. I wish I knew the answer to this problem. :)

I also suffer with IBS and have heard that that a lot of the time they go hand in hand. However, I have had a sensitive stomach all my life but it has worsened since getting fibro. I go back and forth between constipation and diarrhea...fun, fun....Not! I know what affects me is stress, the meds I have to take as I have another disease that causes a lot of pain, hence a steady diet of pain meds. Also, what I eat and too much fibre is not good for me at all. I really work at eating healthy and found that cutting gluten out has helped a lot. So stomach issues yes, be aware if you can.....hard when in the fibro fog, and also just another reflection of our bodies being out of whack. Peppermint and green tea I find soothing to the tummy. Hope this helps. Catliz

I also suffer with IBS and have heard that that a lot of the time they go hand in hand. However, I have had a sensitive stomach all my life but it has worsened since getting fibro. I go back and forth between constipation and diarrhea...fun, fun....Not! I know what affects me is stress, the meds I have to take as I have another disease that causes a lot of pain, hence a steady diet of pain meds. Also, what I eat and too much fibre is not good for me at all. I really work at eating healthy and found that cutting gluten out has helped a lot. So stomach issues yes, be aware if you can.....hard when in the fibro fog, and also just another reflection of our bodies being out of whack. Peppermint and green tea I find soothing to the tummy. Hope this helps. Catliz

Thank you for your help. I keep hearing the gluten thing over and over again. How hard is it to remove gluten from your diet? I got the impression it's fairly difficult, but I know sometimes people just say things like that so they don't have to make a change. Was it an easy transition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back