Not open for further replies.

nvdiver

Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
NV
My research has borne out the fact that fibro is under diagnosed in males and for many years (decades) was viewed as a condition that was a female condition.

Either I am in the wrong type of body or something is amiss because I have been diagnosed with it. I have talked to many people who have it and in my limited conversations haven't found another male who has been diagnosed with it.

Getting the diagnosis took literally 3+ years of trips to my doctor with hip and joint pains and none of the tests revealed anything accept that I have osteoarthritis in my ankle and right hand... that is it. I suffer from unexplained anxiety, sleeplessness and in explicable pain for no identifiable reason.

I have seen arthritis doctors and the have all told me that the amount of arthritis I have in no way, shape or form should be causing me the amount of pain I deal with on a daily basis. Some days are good and some and more frequently are bad and seem to be getting worse.

I am now going through the routine of trying to see what will help me the most. I am very early in the process and hope that it won't be years before I can find a regime that will help me strike a balance.

I am so frustrated with my spouse telling me that she thinks I take too many medications to try and deal with the pain, she is of the mindset that there has to be an identifiable reason for my pain. She just doesn't get it, they can't find a reason for my pain... I sometimes feel like she thinks it is all in my head.... talk about something that makes my blood boil, that is it.

I am active duty military and health and until recently have been fairly energetic, lately though it is like it is all I can do to get up in the morning (pain or no pain), once up and moving it does get better until about mid day then it slowly creeps back and by the time I go to bed all I want to do is sleep so deep that I don't dream or hurt... just sleep. I get more sleep now than I have in many years and it seems to have no impact at all.

All my whining aside..... Am I an oddity? Are there any other males in this forum? I am sure that the women here can relate to the pain and the frustrations and I appreciate your feed back as well... but right now I am feeling like the literal "odd man out"

This must be a popular thought, as there's two threads about this. I'm a male, I was diagnosed over 20 years ago with fibromyalgia. I have definitely met more females that have been diagnosed. But it doesn't make you an oddity or the odd man out. I'm here for yah, bud. :)

I'm a new member - male. See my "New member" post today - tagline "men" --- or "New Member (male)". Yup. Fibro.
I've explained a few things in it.

There are for sure men who have Fibro. It does seem like there are more women diagnosed with it but I do not think that necessarily means there are less men with it. I am not sure if the incidences are truly higher in women or not.

I made a thread a few months ago with this very same topic, I wanted to know how many men over here had been diagnosed with fibro. So far it seems men have a harder time with fibro, maybe because we as women have a lot more resistance to pain in general. Not saying there aren't women out there who aren't suffering pretty bad because of this, but it really seems men have it a little bit worser.

I saw something that it is a 9 to 1 female vs female ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back