Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
Hi everyone, I have been having aches and pains for 3 weeks now. I read so many articles about fibromyalgia, and I know you have to have chronic pain for 3 months before being diagnosed. But of course my Dr. scared me and said I may have it. I doubt it very much, and I just need some insight. I don't have tender points, I don't feel like I can't move or walk, my neck, shoulders, and abdomen don't hurt, I just feel achy all over like I have the flu. The only symptoms I have are that I have traveling pains and itchy skin at times- mostly in my legs and arms, which started 2 weeks ago and I have some days (like today) where my entire body aches. I had a fever yesterday (some articles say fibro can give you a fever some articles say it can't). My throat and glands hurt today, and my eyes are leaky. I honestly just think its a virus that is taking a long time to run its course. I just need to get this fibro out of my head so I stop worrying. I took cipro for the first time at the beginning of Dec and that's the only thing that's making this linger in my mind (bc fibro can be a side effect of fluroquinolones). Any insight from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks!

chapelle,
You might have a viral infection going on that is just dragging it's self out. While fibro is always a possibility, as different people start out with different symptoms, I think in your case wait it out and see if things improve. I have had viral infections linger around for about a month before totally disappearing so this for you may be the same or something more.

You know that ole saying don't go looking for trouble that may not really be there. But also remember if the aches and painful feeling continue go back to your doctor and have some bloodwork done and see if something else might be causing your aches and pains.

By the way welcome to the forum. :)

It's so hard to say as everyone is different. I got Fubromyalgia years after I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. However, I know that my autoimmune disease was the result of a virus. My immune system just never stopped attacking. Personally, I would be suspicious of a Fibromyalgia diagnosis if you have no tender points. Whatever it is, I hope you feel better soon.

Personally, I would be suspicious of a Fibromyalgia diagnosis if you have no tender points. Whatever it is, I hope you feel better soon.

I agree with LivetoErr. My Fibro started with a car accident (or so I believe) when I was 12 years old - I was hit directly on a Tender Spot.

Did your Dr. explain to you why he thought this way?

Thank you everyone for your replies. My symptoms have worsened since I posted, but they still don't match fibro. I still don't have any of the tender points, nor does my entire body ache, nor do I wake up stiff. What's happening is I now have muscle twitching, pins and needles on my left side (fingers and toes), and my legs some days feel "pinchy" and other days feel so incredibly weak. Got every blood test imaginable and everything came back normal. Here's my story - I may have Lyme disease. Bc I went hiking with the family in the fall in Dutchess county, which has the highest incidence of lyme in the country. I did have a large pimple below my belly button but above the pelvic region a few weeks after the hike. and it was a few weeks after that the flu like symptoms began, etc. I didn't even make a connection at the time. I went for the ELISA test, which came out negative, and I pushed to get Western Blot anyway. But even if that comes back negative, I am currently being treated for LYME just incase (by a different doctor, not the one who diagnosed me with fibro). Bc from what I have read, there are many individuals who have lyme and get false negative results. To answer your question, MEgersheim, my dr felt this way bc he had no other explanation, and mainly because I also had daytime urirary frequency and extreme anxiety and weight loss the month before this. however, all three of those are also symptoms of lyme disease. Symptoms of Lyme and fibro are so similar it can get very tricky. My hope now is that I will see some improvement within the next week while on the antibiotic. I am very nervous though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back