Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CT
State
Langone
It’s doubtful that the biblical staff of life exists any longer. In the 1960s and 70s, genetic engineering transformed wheat and other grains into poorly nutritional but more profitable products. Engineered grains have challenged physiology and general health. The culprit appears to be glutens. Gluten is a generic term in that all gains have glutens, which are made up of subsets of proteins. Different grains have different proteins in different concentrations. One type of protein in gluten, which is also the most common gluten in wheat, is gliadin. Gliadin makes up about 69% of the total protein in wheat. It is the most studied protein, as it appears to be the major culprit in Celiac’s disease. Those with Celiac’s disease are classically defined as having/warned of having a sensitivity to wheat, rye, oats and barley. However, all grains have glutens; so depending on the person, there can also be a sensitivity to corn, millet rice, etc., as they have irritating proteins within the gluten other than gliadin. This is a cautionary lesson, because if a person has Celiac’s disease, gluten allergies, or is generally intolerant, they’re likely to have trouble with all types of grain, even if the product is labeled “gluten-free.” Before we go any further, let’s review definitions for gluten allergy, gluten intolerance and gluten sensitivity.
Gluten Allergy: This is when the body sees a substance (in this context, glutens) as a threat or foreign and mounts an inappropriate autoimmune response to eliminate it and protect the body, hence causing an allergic reaction.
Gluten Intolerance: This is when the body just doesn’t like gluten, has a difficult time digesting it and generally the person doesn’t like the way he or she feels after consuming it.
Gluten Sensitivity: This category is seen as the causative condition of Cialic’s disease; in other words Ciliac’s is a manifestation of gluten sensitivity. Gluten sensitivity in itself is not a disease; rather, it’s the state of being or a genetic condition and is systemically/physiologically detrimental.
My advice is to stay away from all grains if:
*You’ve been diagnosed with or suspect of any of the above
*You notice symptoms such as digestive disturbance, bloating, brain fog, fatigue; generally any of the symptoms that are common to fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome. This probably includes 99% of our readers.
* You have been diagnosed with any gut disease or digestive problem and need time to heal. And as mentioned above, don’t trust labels or any grain to be safe until you’re healed and feel confident in reintroducing one grain at a time. (Don’t start with wheat.)
Dr. William Davis, author of Wheat Belly, notes that gliadins are degraded in the intestinal track. They break down into what’s called Exorphins, which are capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier and bind to opiate-receptors in the brain. This may induce changes in appetite, possibly accounting for 100s of calories more than normal to be consumed each day, adding to the challenge of managing blood sugar, which, as we know, is of prime importance to the management of pain and energy.
Dr. Davis also notes the covert consequence of children eating genetically altered grains can be recognizes in behavioral changes in such as ADHD and autism, social detachment, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. More directly related to fibromyalgia; if you recall opiate-receptors must be available for natural endorphins and other neurotransmitters to be innately effective in managing pain. Eating grain, particularly for someone with sensitivities, keeps the nerve circuits clogged and disallows the brain’s ability to manage pain. This means exaggeration and perpetuation of pain signals.
The bottom line for Fibro’s, chronic pain and fatigue sufferers is to consider grains as categorically toxic until proven otherwise. We recommend initially stopping all grains; allowing the body time to detox and begin to heal. Most people will be happy with the results and the way they feel within 30 days; however, stretching it to at least 90 days is best. Then a choice can be made to continue a grain free lifestyle or selectively introduce one grain at a time and judge tolerance.

Hi there fibrodoc! Thanks a lot for the info you posted here :) I found this article really interesting because I might be suffering from ulcers again, and you mentioned that you should avoid gluten if you have been diagnosed with a digestive issue. I also suffer from colitis and IBS, but I have never really paid that much attention to my diet. I'm guilty of eating bread often (at least 3 times a week).

Since I came back from the Netherlands I feel just awful... a lot digestive issues! I ate so much bread there... I wonder if I could have issues digesting gluten? Or maybe it's just a coincidence? Maybe it's just my stomach isn't used to that diet. I should try going gluten free... maybe that's what I need to do.

Wow, you really posted an intricate post! I learned a lot. Wheat is a nightmare for me. I am not a person who gets headaches, but I can really get a bit of a tap if I eat wheat. It also seems to give me a mood swing. Years ago, I kept a food journal, and rotated my food groups every four days, and wrote down the result of eating each food. What I found, was that wheat and dairy gave me the most trouble. I went on a detox, with just organic fruit smoothies, and I felt a lot better. I can get away with rye bread, but stay away from wheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back