Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NC
Hey everyone, first off I hope all of you are doing quite well! Secondly I came here to ask a question (duh): what's the best/safest form of exercise for someone suffering with fibro that has constant aches and pains in the joints/knees? Has anything worked well for any of you?

Yes, swimming! It doesn't need to be lap swimming, even just walking around in water is a workout with no impact. Be careful with lap swimming, as you won't necessarily know when you are overdoing it until you are out of the pool.

Also, light yoga is awesome. You can even do chair yoga, where you sit the whole time.

My favorite is Xbox fitness on my Xbox One, because there is a great variety of workout videos. I can choose a program that I feel would fit my level of energy or pain, as there are low impact easy workouts and extreme shred workouts and many inbetween.

Swimming is among the most fun exercises out there but you can also try riding your bike if it makes you feel any better.

Slow walking doing a small area at first and then walking further. I would have to agree with the above posts that swimming is the number 1 choice as it is very easy on joints and a comfort to muscles, providing the place you swim has warm water. Cold water could cause cramping and more muscle pain.

I have found that walking up the stairs in our two story house a few times each day has helped my knees and legs, feel a bit stronger and also helps me with my weight loss efforts. Slow and easy so you don't damage but only exercise those muscles and joints. :)

If you don't have any kind of pain in the leg or back area, go for biking. It's safe and fun!

I wasn't aware of any specific exercise that Fibro sufferers should avoid. If there are any could someone explain what they are an why? Maybe I just don't understand because my Fibro is mild and I'm more of a CFS sufferer.

Thank you for all of that everyone!

So, what sport did you choose? Also, where do you experience the pains?

Hey everyone, first off I hope all of you are doing quite well! Secondly I came here to ask a question (duh): what's the best/safest form of exercise for someone suffering with fibro that has constant aches and pains in the joints/knees? Has anything worked well for any of you?

I'm not sure there's an answer to this that will work for everyone. I've known people who swear by a certain exercise when it comes to making them feel better but then someone else tries the same thing and it causes tremendous pain.

I know that's not helpful in the least :) but I just wanted to say that exercise in general is very beneficial, but different things work for different people. I hope you'll be able to find the one that helps you as much as possible.

For me walking did wonders when I was really overweight and couldn't exercise because my hips were killing me (among other things). Now that I have a hiatal hernia I might go back to walking. I also think that an elliptical trainer would be perfect for someone with fibro. If I ever get enough cash I will get one, I will combine that with walking, so my body doesn't get too efficient at it (so I still manage to keep myself fit).

Yes, walking is a great sport too! It's not that tiring (unless you walk tens of miles) and it's also very relaxing. I usually walk or ride all the way to my workplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back