Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
PA
Hello! I was just recently diagnosed with fibro and I feel like it just keeps getting worse! At the end of 2013 beginning of 2014 I had 8 months straight of sinus infections. No antibiotic worked. I kept talking to my doctor about these aches and pains, to which she dismissed as being constantly sick. In the meantime, I was put on Wellbutrin for my anxiety and to quit smoking (which I have successfully done since May!) Anyway, finally in August 2014 she decided to send me to a rheumatologist. Within 5 minutes of the exam he gave me a firm diagnosis of FM. I should say I have also had extensive blood work that came back that I am anemic and have very low white and red blood cell counts. Anyway, he has put me on robaxin, sulindac, ambien to sleep (sometimes Ativan) and I still take Tylenol and my Wellbutrin. I also eat well (lots of fruits and veggies) and 20 minutes of yoga twice a day. I have two young boys and the pain is just getting to me. I am beyond fatigued every day, and recently, I have this pain in my upper arms that is indescribable. Along with the fact that my upper arms feel extremely cold and no matter what I cannot warm them up. My thighs and knees are pretty painful as well. I know I am rambling...I just want to know I am not the only one here. I feel like I am still young (31), so this is just hard to mentally deal with when my body doesn't allow me to feel young.

So sorry that you are feeling so bad, my doctor keeps changing my medication to find what works best for me. It has taken alot of trail and error. I am feeling much better now on these new meds. If they stop giving me relief then we have to try something else. I have found that gentle exercise in a pool is amazing for me. Take care and gentle hugs!

First, congrats on quitting smoking! That in and of itself provokes anxiety. I had to quit after a mild heart attack last October. My family would have lynched me if I didn't. For the past year, I haven't been able to work full-time and finally couldn't work at all around July. Fatigue and colitis/IBS have consumed me. While I still have significant pain, I'm dealing with it. Keep up with the yoga and exercise. I need to incorporate that into my daily routine. I bought several 10-minute workouts, one that is yoga, an am intending to begin using them each day. Hopefully that will help.

The biggest part of dealing with this illness is your mind . U have to stay as strong as u can. Illness of any kind doesn't care about your age or color so 31 22 or 42 you bet your bottom dollar your all going to feel 90some days.
It take time to sink in and to learn to life with this . You have to learn to walk arm in arm with this as it ain't going away in any hurry. Now that don't mean your giving in or giving up but understanding u can't change something's in life and your never alone asking yourself why me!.
Next deal with the pills u need to help u through your day and give them time weeks infact once u found something's that suit u and help u u can't then move on living and u always got here to have a good old moan or cry hehe

It makes me feel sore all over. I also have other health issues but the chronic pain is the most bothersome. My neck, shoulders, and back hurt. I'm working under ADA accommodations from home (I teach college full-time) but this will be my last year because of my health. I want to do things but I'm just too tired to do them. When I have a good day I overdo and pay for it the next day.

After hours of spasms last night and only getting four hours sleep, I feel like some one took a bases ball bat to me. plus that wonderful fog makes me feel like I'm in a fugue state.

Professor CPA, I played the juggle work game for many years, working more when I felt better, missing work when I was down. The problem is I was going backwards and fast. I would do the same thing. I'd work long days and days off to get a project moving in the right direction and keep it on schedule, then I'd be out for 3-4 days completely incapacitated. Sounds like you're figuring it out....

Nascarmike, it must have been in the air. I didn't fall asleep until my husband's alarm went off at 5:30 a.m. Drug my butt up to drive my daughter to school, then right back to bed. Still feel foggy today.....Tonight's going to be an early one (crossed fingers!) :)

I just want to know I am not the only one here. I feel like I am still young (31), so this is just hard to mentally deal with when my body doesn't allow me to feel young.

You are def. not alone, tiredofitall. As a 25-year-old, I feel your pain and I'm sorry that it's been so bad for you. Good job on quitting smoking, I think the less things we come to rely on as crutches to get us through, the better we off we are. A few things that work for me are consuming some ginger throughout the day (I get ginger chews from the health food store & suck on them) to take an edge off the pain. Also, hot showers, stretching (I'd recommend seeing a physical therapist to give you some specific stretching to do), and maybe swimming or light walking. Also keeping my life as stress-free as possible, and learning to say "no" has been critical to me not over-doiing it all the time. Hope this helps and I hope you can get to the root(s) of what's causing your fibro. I really believe that this is something that can be treated and so researching the underlying causes of your specific symptoms can help you figure it out. I'm still working on figuring mine symptoms out, have been for 5 years, but I know I'm getting closer!

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement and sharing your journeys! I'm sorry you're all dealing with this too, but comforted that I am lot alone. I am definitely going to see a physical therapist and look into gentle water exercise. I am seeing my rheumatologist this week and am going to discuss other option as the current meds are no longer helping. I'm fact, the robaxin is actually making my heart race and pound..causing panic at night when I am trying to fall asleep. So, it's more of a hindrance at this point. I am glad there is support out there!

For several years I had frequent sinus infections (one side only), diagnosed by two different good doctors. After talking to someone when one was starting one day she suggested it sounded like neuralgia that someone she knew had. I googled it and came up with trigeminal neuralgia, the symptoms fit me to a t. When I went to the doctor I asked her about it, she gave me a medication used for it and for the first time I had relief in the first day. No 3,4 or 5 days or more for the pain to go away.

This may not help you but sharing information is how I found out about it. Feel better.

I have had symptoms of fibro for about a year, but it hadn't gotten really bad until a week ago. First it started with the odd aches here and there, now it's aching everywhere. Mostly the pain is in my legs and feet but it moves to my hands and arms. I feel like I have the flu but with out the fever. The pain last night was really bad in my legs and I can only explain it as a period like cramp in my legs.

I'm sorry you're going through all this :(

I have had neuralgia! It hit me in the back of one eye. My mom actually diagnosed it but she said it was an OLD illness and hadn't heard of anyone having it in 50 years or so. When I went to the doctor, they diagnosed it and said it's a nerve problem. The receptors get basically stuck and go back and forth. The only thing that fixes it is to numb the nerve to stop the receptor. I had to have a numbing gel injected into the bottom of my skull. Sounds gross, but it worked pretty quickly. I've always been one to wait and wait to see if things get better. I was starting to go bonkers with that. Ask your doc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back