Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
wa
Hi All, Wondering if anyone has experienced the same issues with heating pads and for other options. I have been using my microwave heating pads everyday all day long. This seems to be the only way, on top of all the medications to ease some of the pain. I keep a heating pad around my neck and one on my low back. With Fibro and MPS as well as DDD arthritis and MRI showing curve in neck is straightened and 3 herniated/bulging disc with edema in my neck and 4 in my lower back with edema. At first when I started using the heating pads I felt like my skin was burned spoke to my doctor about it and she advised it was not burned and I need to continue to use the heat to alleviate some of the pain. As I continued to use heat I noticed mottling (Erythema ab igne) spoke to doctor and she was not worried about it and advised okay to continue with heating pad. Last night while waiting for my heating pad to heat in the microwave I noticed a burning feeling on my neck and found I had a blister that broke open. Unable to speak with my doctor till Monday I am not sure what to do for pain as there is no way to use a heating pad on my neck now with the blister and do not want to cause any further problems. Within 20 mins of not using heat on my neck my head was pounding so hard I was sick to my stomach and the muscles in my neck shoulders and upper back were so tight I was completely miserable and hardly able to move. I ended up taking tramadol with all my other meds last night which helped me sleep however I would rather not have to take pain meds all weekend. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and wishing you all comfort and relief :)

Hot baths with soaking salts works for me as well as heating pads. I own 5 pads that are electric and have them scattered around my house. Sorry you found a blister. Thats no fun. I have found that my microwave has hot spots in it. So if I use a microwave heating pad I always message it until all of it is the same temperature. Maybe that's where the blister came from. Just a guess.

Thank you Igoold for the response! :) I do regularly move the rice around before putting on my neck / body and actually had the heating pad on for a good 20 mins and a cool down 20 mins before I got this terrible roving intense itch that led to the blister on my neck.. Even without using the heat since Friday night I continue to have the intense roving itch? I rent an apt that only has a shower so no soaking in a hot tub for me :( cant wait till I can use heating pad again on my neck ...

You might try to always have a pad of cloth like a hand towel between you and the heating pad. As good as they feel it is dangerous to use electrical heating pads directly on the skin and sometimes the microwave kind can be hotter than the skin can take when you use them repeatedly on the same areas. So try using a piece of flannel or a thin towel between your skin and it for protection. As for the blister try using a cool wet cloth on it and avoid that area until it heals up. Speak with your doctor concerning the best treatment. :)

Thank you 1sweed, I have spoken to my doctor about this and the roving intense itch she said was a normal fibro pain and to wait for my neck to heal then begin using heat again. I have a flannel cover on the heating pad so I don't use anything else with it.. I think part of the problem was I use to heat it 1 1/2 mins and change to 2 full mins as I got use to it :( I have now healed and only heating 1 1/2 mins and will see how that goes :) Thanks again have a great day! :)

My heating pads are my best friend! I use the same one, moist heat, on my neck every single night. The instructions on mine said to microwave for up to 2 minutes and I did notice that the full 2 minutes was way too hot. But I suppose it depends on your tolerance. A blister is definitely no good! I stick with 1.5 min now and it's perfect.

Warm baths with epsom salts are awesome too! Some days I want heating pads everywhere and the bath is the cure all. I found a great one at Target,Dr. Teal's epsom salts with lavender. It comes in a pretty big bag for only $4-$5! Highly reccommended :)

I agree Jadallyn on the Dr Teal's Epson salts with Lavender is awesome! I bought some when I house sat and could use a tub :)

The 1.5 mins is probably best, I think as I got use to it I needed it warmer but will not heat for 2 mins anymore.. just in case! Not being able to use heat for a week was so hard and a lot more pain meds :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back