DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
CA
State
New Brunswick
hello

I am new to this. I was just diagnoised with fibromyalgia from my doctor. It has been over a year but finally got some answers. I just starting taking lyrica but I find my pain is getting worse. Is anyone using this to treat fibromyalgia and how long did it take to releive some of this pain. I am so tired of being in pain all the time and tired. I still work and do things but takes alot of me. I just want to be able to do more with my son.

Most meds take up to 6 weeks to really do any good. I'd ask your Dr for some good pain killers in the mean time .welcome to the site btw. Pls look through the site as there's many tips on coping.

If it doesn't help within in a few weeks, I would switch medications.

are you seeing Pain mgt or is your GP giving you the Lyrica? read the med guide and you decide if that med is worth the risks.
Pain mgt can give you the pain meds the GP cant give you due to license restrictions.

Also see a post on Cymbalta that is out there. good info there.

Cmetryme: My GPs here and in WA have prescribed Schedule IV pain meds for me for fibro. I only take Tramadol now (which is now a Schedule IV med), but if I get in a horrible flare or have pain from something in addition to fibro, none have had a problem prescribing something stronger. Pain management generally kicks in when you have or will be taking the bigger guns on a consistent and long-term basis. Having said that, if your GP is tentative about exploring all options, by all means seek a pain management referral.

Kdurning: I think docs want you to try non-narcotic drugs prior to jumping head first into the bigger guns. The problem with opioids is that over time you need higher doses to get the same effect. My opinion is that if you need to go the medication route, start small and give the meds a chance. It took 6 weeks for me to get the full effect of Cymbalta, which did ultimately provide some relief. I also take Tramadol, a weak opioid, as minimally as possible. Interestingly, a less common side effect of Lyrica and Cymbalta is pain...go figure. I also take supplements and vitamins and do other things to help keep my fibro in check. Check out some of the alternative therapies here on the site, including gentle exercise, good sleep, meditation, yoga, supplements and more. Managing fibro is a juggling act and almost a full time job. There is no magic medication that will take all your pain away, cure the fatigue, and all the other symptoms. Don't get disheartened. Take care and try not to stress. Stress and anxiety can jack your pain levels up. And moan and groan here...we do understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back