Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
MD
Here's a question for everyone with Fibromyalgia, which I feel isn't explored enough. It's like the elephant sitting in the same room which no one acknowledges.
How have you controlled your pain before diagnosis? I abused alcohol for years, even spent time going to Alcoholics Anonymous. But I never felt like an "alcoholic". Now I realize that I was using alcohol to self medicate for actual physical pain. I can also remember a lot of women I met there who were probably doing the same thing.
Thank God, I never got addicted to prescription drugs or street narcotics, but am sure many women have because of this condition.
What's your story regarding this topic?

Hi, I have never feared addiction for myself, but did my share of alcohol and wine LONG before the FM issue hit me, I was 61. But drank for years dealing with OA, so I guess it numbed the OA pain a lot. I'm 77 this summer and have not hardly touched alcohol/wine in probably 6 yrs or so. Hip replacement left me with a mess and I wobble without adding any kind of booze, plus I've lost all desire to imbibe.

There is addiction in my family line but I have never feared it for me....a very very close family member ended up with pain pill addiction and spent a long rehab stint. The pain meds and other meds she took caused sudden hearing loss too. Long story, hard times. So I'm pretty paranoid about drugs in general.

Thanks for your thoughts on this jaminhealth. Believe me, you're "lucky", because addiction is not something you want to add to your list of side effects/conditions brought on by fibromyalgia.

The loved one I 'm talking about didn't deal with Fibro, but a lot of other life issues....too many end up with addiction issues. My dad drank to his death at 95, but he functioned, but drove everyone else crazy....he never smoked, so we think that kept him going as long as he did.

I have been dealing for 15yrs with FM, and would like nothing more to b pain free. Unfortunately those wonderful pain pills have too many side effects.
I worry that my cognitive distinction (fibro fog) will be worse.
the word addiction is an ugly word, but oooh to be pain free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back