Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
AB
My understanding is insomnia is a common symptom of this. Personally, I had both sleep onset as well as sleep maintenance insomnia (meaning I didn't sleep at all for close to 3 years). So ... I had to research and experiment with just about every drug out there on my journy to getting better. Here is what worked for me.

First of all ... there are lots of sleep aids out there ... most work on GABA. Think of GABA like the brakes on your car. I tried a lot of these and they worked a bit for me ... but I found I was often drugged into the next day unless the pill had a half life of no more than about 6 hours. Imovane was the best of this lot for me.

I also learned that there are other sleep aids that work on completely different systems. Low dose quitiapine 12-25 mg for example works on histamine (H1) and adrenalin (A1) receptors. Think of H1 and A1 as the gas pedal on your car. Now .. don't freak out, but Quitiapine is classed as an antipsychotic. This classification is due to the fact that in higher doses it is. In low doses it simply is an antihistamine and adrenalin agonist (search the last psychiatrist for detail on this .. fun read btw)

Anyway - while I no longer need any sleeping pills, it was a combination of Imovane and Quitiapine that worked amazingly well for me. It's like taking your foot off the gas and putting on the brakes. Both have a short half life. One word of caution. If you can convince your Dr. to let you try Quitiapine ... you will sleep really deeply and may get very vivid dreams!! It can be freaky! This goes away once you catch up on your sleep deprivation.

Hope this helps.

I'm on quetiapine ,I have bi polar.i I'm meant to take 300 mg but I started seeing crap when I was awake. And it wasn't fluffy bunnies.
So I'm on 150. I snap them in half.and yes they sure do help me sleep.but as for a ainthisomine does nothing for me.
I would have to say here in the uk.our gps can't hand out quetiapine .u need to see a srink for them.id also have to say it's not a nice drug .u can really see some scary crap on these .so pls if u do get these be carful X

I take quitiapine,I have bi polar 2. Here in the uk u can't get this drug from just your dr.the lowest dose is 300 mg.so the dr must refer you .so ppl here can't get the low dose u do.
I'm on 150 mg because I had to cut them in half ,I was seeing some very funny stuff while still awake , and let me tell u it wasn't fuffly bunnies.
And if your no other meds this stuff can really mess with u,
When I first started it ,I couldn't make it to the bathroom ,I was on all fours I was so knocked out.
So pls pls pls be carful with this stuff it's not nice. And you will find after a time u need a higher dose.hugs X

I tried that some years back it really knocked me out. A doctor at the hospital took me off them immediately he said, I don't know if this is true (haven't looked it up yet), that it causes a tarditive dyskinesia facial grimacing in women with longterm use. Careful with your antipsychotics they come with some permanent nasty side effects if used for years. I have a friend who's arm wiggles repeatedly back and forth consistently he doesn't notice it unless I point it out. Of course don't go off your meds or anything but these side effects do happen.

Research, research, research .. and certainly do only what you are comfortable with. I am a strong advocate of learning, experimenting, and taking control over your own health. If I hadn't taken control seven years ago there is no question I'd still be sick today ... or worse. Is there risk in taking a drug? Absolutely. Is there risk in not taking a drug? Absolutely. I don't need to take any sleeping pills today, but I will confidently say low-dose quitiapine plus zopiclone helped me like nothing else when I needed it.

I wish I could come off mine,but I'd never sleep .now Im Worried il be stuck with a grin in years to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back