DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
NY
Hi all,
I apologize for creating a new post as I thought that I saw a similar one, but I'm freaking out this past week.
EVERY time I eat, within 10 minutes my heart is racing, I get internal shakes and feel light headed.
Is this my sugar spiking? Could I have diabetes or pancreatic cancer? I go to rhumatologist wed but it's just getting me so nervous. Anyone?

I posted on this in another area ... it is likely from what you describe that you are experiencing reactive hypoglycemia. I'll bet my first born that the meal you reacted to had carbohydrate in it ... likely a fair bit. I used to get this all the time and the way I figured it out was to test my blood sugar at 10 minute intervals. I'd spike within 10 minutes and then crash. The speed of the rise and fall seemed to be as much the issue as the actual blood sugar readings.

Treatment - The good news is it is possible to resolve this .. and quickly. The bad news is for me at least .. I had to adopt a ketogenic diet to fix it. I tried everything else first btw including small meals, low GL meals, etc. The ketogenic diet was what worked. I did this btw against the advice of my Dr., my nutritionist, as well as against my own biases at the time (I mean come on .. really? no carbs?? ... I mean that's the lunatic fringe right?) :)

Anyway, if you want to take a walk on the wild side and when you get tired of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result ... try it. The diet Dr. is a really good resource and Maria Mind and body has the best recipes. I'd suggest getting a blood ketone meter and incorporating some exercise. Don't be afraid of fat. Your heart will love you in fact. Did you know that fat is actually what it burns? Look it up :)

Ive had this a lot and was also aware it was either after a high carb meal or a sugary treat like a cake.

I also noticed in happens a lot more when I am stressed already which can raise blood sugar levels in itself and then have a meal with carbs on top.

I always got away with it at breakfast but by lunch the shakes/palpitations almost like a panic attack symptoms would come on after.

I just reduce carbs right down and have healthier ones when I do indulge maybe once a day.

I bet you also react very strongly to dairy then. For me yogurt was among my worst foods ... dairy foods have the highest insulin index. I still won't touch dairy!

Gosh i eat lots of natural organic yoghurt as a source of calcium and to promote healthy gut flora...I didn't think dairy affected blood sugar very much.

Yeah ... you need to experiment to see how your body reacts. I suspect the carbs and protein in yogurt are easy to break down. Also being a liquid, yogurt can pass through the stomach quickly. All of these things can contribute to a rapid rise in blood sugar and a corresponding crash. Over the past 7 years I monitored what I ate and literally took hundreds of blood sugar readings and documented my results to figure out what I could eat.

Well I made a dinner with no carbs and low and behold I did not get the shakes. So I think you guys are on to something

do you do some exercise? better be optmistic

Yeah ... low carb (ketogenic in my case) was a clear key for me. It took me a while to figure out how to eat for sure ... plus a few other things I had to do I suppose

Tony, would the Paleo diet be considered ketogenic? I'm following the Whole 30 plan (very similar to Paleo) which doesn't permit any added sugar, not even pure maple syrup or honey. The only carbs allowed are those found in fruit and veggies (like sweet potatoes). Is this ketogenic?

Hey Tony, you don't have to answer the above post. I googled ketogenic diet and found my answer.

No worries ... I'll add a bit of value for others though. As you found out, Ketogenic diets are very low carb ... < 50 grams/day .. while Paleo is simply lower carb than a standard diet. I found a dose-response relarionship in that for me, the lower carb I went the better I felt. I like the idea of Paleo, but amazingly it is still a little too 'hot' for me unless I am very active. It took me 3 years before I could gather the courage or audacity to try Keto btw ... seemed like lunatic fringe stuff!

I ended up this past week with a swollen tongue to go with my tight feeling throat. Went to Dr. She said all looked ok and then put me on 100% Gluten free, sugar free and processed food free. Ugh. I'm going to try my best to do it. Anyone else have Gluten issues that could be causing the Brain Fog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back