Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
UK
State
Scotland
Omg I feel so stupid all the time for doing really careless things! I just filled a hot water bottle to make me feel a bit better, didn't screw the cap on nearly tightly enough and burnt my leg a bit. The other week I drove off with the petrol cap off after filling it with petrol and only noticed after another driver stopped & told me. I always read instructions wrong & mess up. The thing that worries me most is messing up doing something for one of my girls. They're aged 10 & 12 so quite independent at some things but not everything. That could have easily been one of their hot water bottles 🙁

Ive done that Lou ...once i walked away having filled it with no top on at all! Almost every other day i burn my hands filling mine from the kettle somehow splash the water onto my fingers and have to run them straight under the cold water tap for 20 minutes to stop it blistering.

i frequently burn vegetables dry in the pan...wander off and completely forget!

So sorry you have become a bit fibro fog accident prone....im sure now its given you a bit of a fright you will double check for your daughters...or just a suggestion maybe make it a routine for them to check the top when you make them a hwb.

I use hwbs so much in the end they get a little split somewhere and i notice a wet patch on me.....only once was it so hot i had a little burn on my thigh.

LOL and they say meds have bad side affects!

Your not stupid just like all humans we are fallible. :)

I stopped use the ho water bottle for the same reason, now I use microwavable grain pillow intead , if I'm sitting down then electric heating pad. I don't remember how many time I've burned my self with hot water bottle. Thanks to it I used to often cover up with toothpaste cause that's best way for me to treat the burn wounds for me.

You are not stupid....and the things you mention are not stupid. Forgetting the simplest things is a part of life, and sadly also a daily reality for us fibro warriors.

Last time at the hospital, the girl at the lab desk asked for the paperwork for my mom, I handed her the newspaper. She was staring at me, with the newspaper in her hand, just waiting for me to realize what I had given her, I see her, I see the newspaper, but it did not dawn on me what the mistake was. It took about 20 seconds....my mind was simply somewhere else. It actually was a very funny situation. I felt stupid, sure, but hell, at least it made me laugh that day.

So as annoying as these 'stupid' situations are, we should try to laugh them off as much as we can.

But of course there are cases when things get scary - like forgetting food on the stove (happened to me a few times this year) or the hot bottle stories above. Now I wrote on the cupboards in the kitchen that I should always use a timer. I also tell everyone else in the house I am cooking, in case I still forget. I also have post-its all over the house. (lots of smiley face post-it's, even on the kettle. Just to remind me to be careful with hot water.) I don't care what it means, the safety of my family comes first too. If that means putting up post-it's and notices around the house, so be it.

LOL the newspaper story made me chuckle......so funny yet not a surprise as ive had these moments too! :)

Thanks for all your replies. It's so frustrating sometimes when you keep doing things because of fibro fog. lol Vicky the newspaper story made me chuckle too, that's the kind of things I do regularly. The other thing with fibro fog is saying the wrong thing but it takes a good minute or two before my brain kicks in and I realise what I've said, then there's a good chance I'll say it again but still say it wrongly. Fibro has got so much to answer for! I bet we all have a few funny fibro fog stories we could tell, it's not funny at the time but we can laugh about it after.

For those who understand UK money i once handed over a £1 coin for something that cost £4.00 and stood there with my hand out waiting for my change!

LOL i guess i thought id given a £5 note but still stood there with a vacant look and my hand hovering until eventually the penny dropped so to speak and I handed over what i owed with many apologies and looking a fool !! :) :)

fibro fog is ... well what can I say. I've lost all my embarrassments to it far more than I can count. The only good things is that I don't remember all of it , but the sad thing is there's no way to learn the same mistake since I've already forgot about it to begin with.

I don't remember how many time I've tried to use the subway ticket as the debit card and wonder why the machine doesn't accept, walking in to the wrong bathroom ( the men's room) and stood there while the men have to tell me I'm in the wrong place :oops: . Ahh.. so embarassing. Not to mention forgot my way to get back home , took the wrong trains and ended up at the wrong part of town. :confused: My bf have to come find me far too many time , he laugh about it mostly because the looks on my face :shock: of disbelieved, but deep down inside I do feel betray by my own brain. Even with all the GPS and many good devices to help me get around I still failed to use it properly when needed.

However at this moment being stupid is a part of me. I can't deny it , all I can do is embrace the jokes of it. Cause if I can't laugh about it , I've got nothing. ;)

I've lost my favourite mug for days in the past then one day spotted it up the end of my long back garden ( yard).

Ive lost count of the times over the years ive searched for my usual mug then find it the next with cold tea in the microwave!

I must have attempted to reheat a drink i had left to get cold then forgotten id done it.

The best is trying to unlock my front door with back door key and not working out why the key wont turn in the lock...lol they look completely different!

I just smile at myself...in comparison with pain its quite amusing sometimes...except the burning the veggies and only realising when i can smell burning coming from the kitchen..luckily the smoke detector will go off before i burn the house down....

teehee on the bright side sometimes my pain is so bad i wouldn't mind going up in smoke....lol quite a dignified exit!! :)

Then the next fun part is trying to save the pan and not having enough strength to scrub it clean from the black charred coating.

Hope my humour doesn't offend anyone...its laugh or cry...i do both...just silent tears.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back