Are there any men diagnosed with fibro on this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another male here, had it for about 10 years and diagnosed for 7 or so.

Let me be #8 in this thread of fellow males with fibromyalgia. I wonder if guys are more silent about this illness due to the skeptical nature of males. If you can't prove it, it's hard to admit. Or if they're misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia is more common in females?

I'm a new member - male. Fibro.
Check my "New Member" post - title "New Member (Male)"
I explain a little about myself and my experiences.

I am a male and have just asked the same question on another forum. My understanding is that fibro is thought to be highly under diagnosed in men. If I remember right they say that men are about 2% of those diagnosed with it. Like some of the other that posted, I have anxiety, sleeplessness and pain that has progressively and slowly gotten worse over the last few years before finally getting the diagnosis.

I take medication for the anxiety and to help me sleep. I haven't been given anything that really has hit the pain/aches... Haven't tried lyrica or cymbalta or any of the other medications mentioned here. I think it will be a trial and error phase for me for a while since I was just given the official diagnosis last month. My GP has taken a lot of time and continues to research the treatment regimes being used and I think it will begin to take some of the frustration I have had in the past away. It was kind of a relief to finally have a name attached to my condition, but at the same time disappointing that there is little known about it and the pathways to what will control it are so varied. Its not like a broken bone, where they set it, cast it and it goes away over time.

Hey there! Sorry to hear you have fm too. I was reading the other day that anxiety and depression seem to be common factor among people suffering from this. It seems suffering from anxiety and depression makes your pain far worse, they're not sure why those things are linked to fibro, but it really seems to be a common factor among people like us. I actually happen to suffer from anxiety and depression too. I'm taking several natural supplement to treat this. I just hate the side effects most meds have on me...

Best of luck with your treatment! Don't be afraid to experiment with alternative medicine!

Let me be #8 in this thread of fellow males with fibromyalgia. I wonder if guys are more silent about this illness due to the skeptical nature of males. If you can't prove it, it's hard to admit. Or if they're misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia is more common in females?

I feel so sorry for the males who suffer from this... I just read the story from a member who is having a hard time proving he actually suffers from fibro. He had to stop working and his having huge financial issues because of fibro. It's sad it still is assumed this is mostly a disease that affects females.

I find it hard to believe that most Fibro websites say this isn't a disease, but a syndrome, and it's not progressive.

I'm getting worse all the time.

I do believe men are underdiagnosed.

Same here, I think there are so many things that are left out when it comes to fibro, I consider it a disease actually... that pain couldn't be considered something else in my opinion! I'm sorry for the men who are having a hard time trying to prove to their insurance ocmpany that they actually have fibro :( I read a really sad case the other day. It's frustrating they still know almost nothing about it.

Yes, I am a 60 year old male with Fibromyalgia. New to the group today.

I have had many years of arthritis in my feet, knees and back and many serious inflammatory diseases: myocarditis, pleurisy, acute pancreatitis, iritis, uveitis, prostatitis and more.

It seems that the toll of these, the last being pneumonia and pleurisy 18 months ago left me continually totally weak and exhausted leading to a senior consultant in the UK diagnosing Fibromyalgia.

Apart from the continuous arthritic pain, all my muscles burn and tingle (I am told that this is due to lactic acid caused by Fibromyalgia). At first I suspected Simvastatin but all the tests prove they are not destroying muscle. On top of this I do have some 'good' periods of time when I can do some physical activity.

Apart from pain, I get breathless and very sweaty after very little exercise now.

I had to give up a good job as I was too exhausted to continue working.

I have taken codeine based painkillers for years. NEVER more than the maximum of 8 a day and now trying to keep it to 3 or 4 tablets a day to avoid physical addiction.

The thing that has annoyed me most recently is that my rheumatologist accepts my many physical conditions but says that there is a large psychological element to Fibromyalgia.

What do other sufferers think of this?

I was given Neurontin to try and help with the neuropathic pain but it gave me an upset stomach.

Finally, I have suffered from continuous tinnitus (a loud high pitched tone) in both ears for the last 6 months and wondered if anyone else has this and attributes it to Fibromyalgia?

Glad I found this group although I am already in many other medically related groups :sad:

Vigman

I am a new member of this forum and have to add myself to the list
of men with fibro.bad,
I tore all my upper left back muscles on the job 20 years ago and it took
over a year to heal.
I have never been the same since.
Fought and totally lost a worker's comp case over it and was treated really bad,
doctor would not tell me what I had but did the pressure point test and gave a wishy washy
diag in the interview for the court case.
I learned to manage with it but recently have had treament for bladder cancer and now have no
bladder and fibro worse than ever.
It has been over 6 months since the main surgery and see that I am not going to get better.
Been out of work since 2012.
Now, without insurance anymore I need to get a doctor for the fibro to get SSDI....
*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back