AngelinGodshands

Diagnosis
11/2013
Country
US
State
Wisconsin
New member to forum and fibro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello I was diagnosed with fibro on 11-26-2013 and having a hard time accepting my diagnoses. I have other illness: diabetes, asthma, chronic back pain, and might have RSD in my right foot and fibro is the harder's for me to accept. I feel that the doctor must have misdiagnosed me even thou there were a few doctors who though I had it before being diagnosed. I feel the doctors was saying that because they could not explain the pain I was experiencing. I think this is hard to accept because fibro would take a lot of control over my life then other illness.

I had a full life before being diagnosed with fibro and had big plans. That I feel God placed me on this earth to do. Know I feel like I am failing in life. People around me make it even harder for me to deal with, they say, they understand and believe I am in pain, but when I tell people don't touch me because it hurt I get back "I just touch you lightly that don't hurt". I feel very alone dealing with this. I even find myself going around touch other people in the tender points asking if it hurt not wanting to be the only one in my surroundings with this pain.

I really don't understand fibro, I am either severe fatigue, head aches, can't sleep, fog brain, sensitive with touch, and in pain most of the time. I even have pain in right hand where it lock up sometime and is hard to use it. I wonder is this part of fibro or something else? My doctor prescript Lyrica, but I haven't taken any because I am scare of the side effects. I am a person that don't like to take meds that might cause me to feel high (like I am doing drugs) or meds that might have me feeling like I want to become suicidal.

I just wonder how long it is going to take for me to accepting the diagnose? Maybe once I accept it I wouldn't feel so lonely, but this is a hard syndrome to accept. Have anyone received the nerve shots? Do they help? Sorry for complaining but I really don't know what to do and I don't want to get depressed be . Is it possible there are more better days then bad days? :-?

Hi, and welcome to the forum! First of all, I didn't read anything that you said as "complaining" so no worries there at all. This is the perfect place for sharing the feelings you have about your diagnosis.... plus being able to talk with others who are going through the same.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time with this on top of the other health issues that you mentioned. :-( There's no set time when you'll magically "accept" that fibro is part of your life now... it's different for everyone but I do know that a good first step is arming yourself with knowledge and research.

Even in this forum alone, I've read a number of things that have offered relief to others that I would have never thought of on my own. Little by little, you'll start gathering up information on how to cope... so that's a great start. Being able to vent here with others is an important part of the process, too, I think.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am not sure that any of us really accept the diagnosis, but it is the only answer that we have at this point and it gives a name to our suffering. I have had it for a very longtime even before most doctors accepted the condition and like I said just having a name for the condition made it somewhat easier to live with.

I also understand your problem with family and friends not understanding how tender our skin and muscles are and thinking that their light taps don't hurt. I have a friend that pats me on the back and looks surprised everytime I say ouch! They just don't get it.

I would like to suggest to you that you try the medication given to you by your doctor. If it does not help you can always stop taking it. Sometimes when we have several health conditions we get fearful of trying new things. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it does not, but it is worth trying when you are in severe pain. It sounds like you have a caring doctor that would help you if the medication does not work.

Check around the topics as other members have shared about using Lyrica and could give you pointers on what to watch out for and what worked for them in the way of different meds. Since you are diabetic your choices may be more limited and by working closely with your doctor you might be able to have less pain.

Your always welcome to voice your concerns on this forum. :)

Last edited:
It can be hard to accept this diagnosis. It is a painful illness and for a long time I hoped it was something that would "Just go away." Sadly it did not and I had to slowly come to terms with it.

Welcome to the forums, Angelin! I also had a hard time accepting my diagnosis, I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago, and it wasn't until 2 months ago that I finally accepted my diagnosis. Don't worry, you will eventually come to accept your diagnosis, you just need some time. I don't know how long it could take you exactly, because it varies from person to person, but I believe you will eventually get there.

The most important thing is staying positive! Seriously, I know how hard it is, but you have to do your best to stay positive and scare away all those negative thoughts lurking in your mind. Depression and anxiety actually make your pain worse. I recommend you to try the Suzanne Powell's breathing exercises! They're awesome. Watching ASMR videos on Youtube can also be helpful.

Best of luck with everything. I hope you keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back