DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
Iowa
Hi all-

My dr called yesterday with results of my blood test and everything came back normal. He suggested I start Cymbalta for my wide spread pain. I have 12 of the 'tender points' that Fibromyalgia patients describe. I had no idea there was even such a thing until my dr last Friday mentioned Fibromyalgia. I saw the map of the body and was in shock. Almost all the tender spots are where I am hurting all the time. Anyways I can find nothing good that came from taking the Cymbalta and was wondering if anyone had any opinions. Besides being crazy expensive, the side effects I read that people have make me question if I should begin the treatment. :confused::confused::confused:

I tried Cymbalta and it did nothing for me, so I decided to go off it, and that is where the horror began! My entire summer was spent suffering from what felt like vertigo...I was crying constantly, dizzy, nausea, room would spin if I closed my eyes but had no balance if I tried to do anything and felt I was going to pass out. The brain zaps were horrible. I would never take this medication again. I have heard that it does work for some, but the withdrawals always seem to be the same for all...and I had this even weaning off slowly over 2 months.

Like with any drug for any condition some work for you and some don't. My own situation is all the meds that are generally used for Fibro these day either do nothing for me or make me a lot worse but other people it has given them new life. You really don't know until you try.
Most doctors will start you off on a lower dose just to see you don't react badly to it and then increase it until you get a beneficial effect. Just make sure to tell your doctor of any weirdness or funky happenings as descriptively as possible so they can adjust the dose or switch you to something else altogether.
It's your decision at the end of the day and if you sunny like something don't be ages to tell them of your concerns.

Cymbalta caused my heart to race so erratically after taking it for a week my doctor had me stop immediately. This is a rare reaction, I understand. It may be worth a try for you as it does seem to help some. I sooooo badly wanted it to finally be what I was hoping for but it was not. :-(

Thank you for the reply! Those are the stories that I keep reading about that make me not want to start it. I so badly want relief but I'm scared to death it won't work and I'll be taken off it and have the terrible withdrawal. What if I lose my insurance or don't have money to pay for it are questions I keep asking myself. Someone said they were only on it for 10 days and they had withdrawal. I have experienced Vicodin withdrawal, after being on it six weeks, and I thought I was going to crawl out of my skin. I would do anything to avoid those feelings again. Starting this medicine is all I can think about and just don't know what to do. The dr I saw was a dr in family clinic and since I just got insurance, I have been untreated since it began a couple years ago. I'm to the point I can't walk at the end of the day. I don't have a 'family doctor' so I'm not comfortable discussing my concerns with him but know I need to. I picked up my script yesterday and just keep looking at it..... sorry for the soap box but I'm just so confused.....

Thank you for the reply! Those are the stories that I keep reading about that make me not want to start it. I so badly want relief but I'm scared to death it won't work and I'll be taken off it and have the terrible withdrawal. What if I lose my insurance or don't have money to pay for it are questions I keep asking myself. Someone said they were only on it for 10 days and they had withdrawal. I have experienced Vicodin withdrawal, after being on it six weeks, and I thought I was going to crawl out of my skin. I would do anything to avoid those feelings again. Starting this medicine is all I can think about and just don't know what to do. The dr I saw was a dr in family clinic and since I just got insurance, I have been untreated since it began a couple years ago. I'm to the point I can't walk at the end of the day. I don't have a 'family doctor' so I'm not comfortable discussing my concerns with him but know I need to. I picked up my script yesterday and just keep looking at it..... sorry for the soap box but I'm just so confused.....
Chronic pain is so very difficult. I have several other chronic issues in addition to FMS and really understand how you feel - you hear differing views on a medication and really want to try it but yet are nervous about the side effects and so on. Like you, my day usually ends about 3:00 p.m. as the pain becomes too much and I must lie down. In fact, there is a mattress on the floor downstairs in front of the TV for me as I cannot sit very long. :( I've got herniated discs and stuff that really cause lots of suffering.

BUT I made a conscious decision three years ago to not rely on meds and to take control of me myself. It was very, very difficult as I had what is called fear avoidance (not doing things as I worried about what would happen if...). I also decided to not allow the pain to control my life (it was all I thought about for a couple of years) and it has really been liberating. Sure, the pain is always there, sleep is rare, etc. but mentally it was a huge breakthrough. I had to work on banishing pain thoughts from my mind and switched from MY pain to just pain.

Now, after trying tons of meds unsuccessfully, I am ok with it because it no longer has me in its grip. I try to live and enjoy things in spite of pain. It sounds crazy, but it actually can be done. Distractions really help such as engrossing books.

Is it possible to get a family doctor? Here in Canada things are far different. My doctor just moved to South Africa so I saw my new one for the first time last week. NOT impressed. :( My other doctor was so great! I know finding a doctor is far easier said than done.

Please hang in there - you are worth it! Try immersing yourself with positive thoughts today - perhaps a bath or relaxing music. Maybe even spoil yourself a little with a treat. :) It is hard not to count on meds to be the answer but once you are out of that rut, the freedom is really amazing. I no longer feel like a slave to dwelling on pain! :)

I have been on cymbalta for over a year. And I love it! It works great for my pain, and I had absolutely no side effects!
Everyone is different and reacts different.

You will have to try it to be 100% sure, I'm sorry to say it's all trial and error here; some meds work for some people while others just don't. Same goes for side effects: some people get side effects while on certain drugs and others just don't. It really depends on your body most of the time. You will never know unless you go for it and try!

I've been on cymbalta almost 2 months & I think it's a miracle drug. Cymbalta & lyrica have taken away nearly 75% of my pain. I've had no side effects & I feel great . No weight gain, no brain zaps, no fatigue

Yes, I agree with all here, it is so different for everyone, and unfortunately there is no way to know unless you try it. It wasnt for me, but that said...no drug has been able to help me as I am very sensitive to meds in general. I hope you find some relief, I do get how hard it is to live with pain, as I am sure we all do here, so you are not alone! I really feel for you. Today I decided to buy a Ninja blender to start getting more veggies and fruits into me that are also easier absorbed and I am hoping that will help, even if it is one small improvement! Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

I just began Cymbalta about 2 1/2 weeks ago and so far the only thing that I have noticed is that I have more energy.
I also noticed the ONLY side effect is more shooting pins and needles/numbness.

I too have tried so many meds and cymbalta was one of them. Eventually after a couple years I had to get off of everything and start fresh. I have the pain no matter what I do. I quit the meds and do the best I can. I keep moving doing little things. I had to quit work at 46 and learn to slow down. I'm on year 6 of disability, and new here. It really is nice to know you are all out there. Feel so alone with my Fibro.

Yay Lhegs and Susan51659,

I love Cymbalta too. It changed my life completely and now I'm able to function enough to get physical therapy. Lyrica and Cymbalta have taken away almost all my pain as well.

I've been on Cymbalta for 4 years. I did not realize how intense my fibro pain was until I got off of cymbalta for a couple of months. Needless to say I went back on it. It has been a lifesaver for both my pain and my depression. Getting off of it was hard. For a couple of weeks I felt like I was dying. Brain zaps, dizziness, pain, nausea... it was intense. i weighed the options very heavily and felt I was getting more from being on it. Hope that helps.

I was prescribed Cymbalta for my GAD and noticed an improvement in my pain and energy levels. The rheumy just increased it so I take a 30mg capsule in the morning and a 60mg capsule at night. They also have a generic available now that is much more cost effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back