Not open for further replies.

Corvid

Distinguished member
Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
US
State
With all the things we can no longer do because of our chronic illnesses, I thought it would be fun and encouraging to make a list of all the things that people with chronic illnesses are good at. Let's see how long a list we can come up with!

People with chronic illness are good at:
1. developing the virtues of fortitude, perseverance, patience, and self-control
2. planning meals that involve the absolute minimum of prep time and dishes dirtied
3. swallowing multiple pills at a time
4. planning the most efficient route through the grocery store
5. stocking and organizing the night stand so as to have all necessary items for the day within reach
6. strictly prioritizing each day's activities
7. being empathetic with people who are suffering

That's a nice start to a list, Corvid. The one I'd add first would be something that my friend with chronic pain has often said. It may be close to your #7... but it's different enough that I'll add it anyhow because it's more than empathy.

I have often heard her say that because of what she goes through with the pain, she can tell by just looking into someone's eyes when they are dealing with chronic physical/pain issues in their life. I don't mean visible "hurting at that moment" pain because others can't even usually see it, but... maybe it's like kindred spirits understanding each other... the eyes *are* the windows to the soul after all.

Also
Hiding our own pain
Inventiveness... finding other way to do things most people take for granted

I have a hard time when my husband is "sick" cough achy and calls off work for 5 days. Ugh makes me so mad.

I love your list. I'm a grocery store demon. I know where it is what exact isle and how to get to the next item I need from there. In and out as quick as my body will let me.

Swallow pills all at once-- so true!
Lol I laugh because I can do many and include DayQuil with them too, this week. BUT My daughters can barely take a Tylenol.

Lets see:

1) My boyfriend says I am the most patient person he knows!
2) I'm lucky because I cook and someone else preps and cleans (and boy am I messy)
3) I can swallow multiple pills at a time with no water. However, if Prednisone is in the pile, I need water.
4) I love the grocery store. I walk each isle looking at every thing I might want; it just takes me a long time.
5) The complaints I get for how much stuff is on it...
6) Prioritizing, what's that? I'm lucky I don't have anything important to worry about. If I did, I'd be lost.
7) To a point, I'm not empathetic to anyone who acts like they are on their death bed because they have a simple cold. However, anyone with a chronic illness... I am as empathetic as anyone can be.

This is an interesting list. I wonder how many of these apply to us 'sickos' ;)

One more thing. I'm good at forgetting things. Lately I'm very foggy brained so I write everything down.

1. Good at gritting our teeth and getting jobs done that we should not be trying to do in the first place, then suffering for it all later.
2. Solving problems with kindness drather than anger to avoid added stress.
3. Pacing self to avoid over doing.

This list was a great idea. Thanks for starting it, Corvid.

Man, I cant count how many times I've been somewhere and someone in my party said, "why don't you sit down?" Well, I can't sit down because if I do, I won't be able to get back up. I have to over do it, in those situations, because stopping means I'm stopping for good.

I have learned though. At places like Disney Land, I rent a scooter. I can tolerate all the looks and, all assumptions that I'm just abusing the system because at the end of the day, I can still walk.

Don't you find pacing yourself so hard? I mean, it seems like I'm already so slow doing things that I can't pace myself. If I did, I'd never get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back