Status
Not open for further replies.
Diagnosis
02/2004
Country
US
State
Maine
I have noticed that when I am getting ready to go to sleep at night my legs start to move all on their own. It doesn't have to just then though, when I start to relax i notice they start moving. And the more I relax they more pronounced they movement. It keeps me up at night. It wakes me up sometimes during the night and sometimes if I am trying to lay down during the day. When it is really bad like it is right now I literally have to keep my leg moving because the feeling that it needs to move is almost painful.
Does anyone else deal with this? Is this fibro related or something else?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Kirsten

I don't know that it is fibro related, I know that there is a specific disorder that is exactly what you are describing, restless leg syndrome. I know that there are medications that can be used for it, but you definitely need to visit your doctor.

It's the Fibro. It's technically called Restless Leg Syndrome but it is often seen in those with Fibromyalgia. It happens to me too. Sometimes, it's so fierce the twitches wake me up at night. I often have a sensation that, I'd swear, I was falling but I'm lying down. It's awful. If it bothers you enough you can talk to your doctor about it. Personally, I'm not interested in adding more medication so I don't bother.

LivetoErr,

I totally agree with you. They call it RLS, but it's totally the Fibro. I have it too. I don't have issues with it anymore because I'm on Tramadol, Lyrica, and Cymbalta, but I also see a pt twice a week and a chiropractor three times a week. The key thing is to stretch your legs out in a gentle way before bed. It's the only way I sleep. Are you seeing a pt yet, Kristin?

I am not seeing a pt yet? I guess this needs to be something I need to talk to my pcp about. I have never seen a Rheumatologist is this something I should have my PCP refer me too. What exactly will the rheumatologist do that my PCP isn't doing?

A rheumatologist just specializes in this kind of thing. He or she may or may not be able to do more for you than your primary.

My primary isn't comfortable dealing with that aspect of my health care so she sends me to a rheumatologist. I have more than Fibro, though. My last rheumatologist retired in January. There isn't a whole lot a rheumatologist can do for me as, I've tried all there is to try. Either, it doesn't work or works but gives me unbearable side effects. My former rheumatologist said she was comfortable leaving me in my primary's hands so, she wasn't going to refer me to another doctor. I told this to my primary and she, immediately, sent out the request for a new doctor.

There isn't any harm in asking your primary if he or she thinks it would do you any good to see a rheumatologist. It was my rheumatologist who diagnosed the Fibro but, she didn't do anything for me except recommend I get better rest. She suggested a sleeping pill but I can't take those without being completely useless the next day. Luckily, I was put on drugs for other issues that treat Fibro so, I think I'm managing as good as can be.

Hey Kristen,

So I would recommend seeing a rheumatologist because mine knows the specific meds that people with Fibro are supposed to be on. Also, he/she can refer you to a pt. Also, know the meds are short term. After you finish w/ the pt, you'll have a good start on being more flexible/stronger/active and then eventually you can control the pain that way. That and with a healthy whole foods diet. My friends w/ fibro doesn't take meds anymore and she controls it that way. Also, I recommend a hot bath before bed. I wouldn't be able to sleep at all without that every single night. Hope that helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back