Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
CO
So, I've had problems since I was very, very young. My memory is shot completely, so I rely on my mom for most of the information, but I do have some memories of being traumatized from being told I'm "making it up to get attention".

My doctor said it's very uncommon for someone to have symptoms at such a young age and that it may not be Fibro because of that. So I'm curious, how young were you when you first started getting symptoms related to Fibro? Do you know of anyone else that has had symptoms as a young child?

Not true. I'm 21 and I was just diagnosed, there's no actual age pattern for Fibromyalgia. They generally diagnose anywhere between 20 and 55. Since it's not a disease that pops up due to old age, wear and tear on the body, or anything else it can happen at any age. I feel I've had mine for quite some time actually but it wasn't until just last week that it flared up and became unbearable. That's when I went to see a doctor.

l3itch,

I'm 33 and was just diagnosed, but I feel my "symptoms" began when I was young as well.

I remember pain in my left side -which turned out to be the Gluteal Tender Point- when I was 16.

BUT, my medical records show I went to the pediatrician's at age 10 for left subscapular pain which I must've done in gymnastics, and is my number 1 complaint to this day. My left 'shoulder' is such a pain in the ass to sleep on, sit back on, etc. but it's not the shoulder per se, and it's not the back, it's the muscle behind the shoulder blade. I thought it hurt because I was in a few fender-benders where the seat belt pulled back and really hurt my left shoulder. I cannot wear the shoulder belt to this day and my son points it out every chance he gets.

I too was told that an injury which happened when I was so young was unlikely responsible or even related to the condition I have now,

Melissa.

I started having symptoms when I was 19 years old. I always thought I hurt because I was overweight and worked a physical job. I was officially diagnosed when I was 23 years old. I'm 25 years old now. My rheumatologist told me my fibromyalgia was caused by the inflammation in my body being so high for so long. I don't know... all I know is that my inflammation is controlled now and I'm in a crap ton of pain.

My symptoms all hit me like a truck one day at the age of 17, after a bout of terrible Mono. It was like I laid down one evening with a powerfully painful throat, achy muscles, and fever, and I just never quite got back on my feet again. I was forever changed from that moment on.

Suddenly, my joints locked up when I played my cello for more than a few minutes at a time, I couldn't focus in class, I took multiple naps throughout the day, and my social life absolutely fell apart. I was just to tired to go anywhere, and my body hurt all of the time. I had to drop out early and get my G.E.D. because I could no longer keep up with my peers. However, no doctor could figure out what was wrong, until just recently. I just turned 28 last month.

According to Children's Hospital Boston, pediatric fibromyalgia can start between 11 and 15 years old.
I have had a hard time finding a rheumatologist specializing in fibromyalgia, even in Boston, but of course Children's has an entire department

I have been in 2 accidents, age 22 and 23, never had pain of any kind like this prior, and even the 1st accident wasn't as bad as the 2nd accident... I thought that my pain from the 1st accident was horrible, until I was hit that second time and now I think I was a pansy before accident number 2 lol. They think my fibro was caused by accident number 2, along with many other issues... I am now 25. Diagnosed at age 24/25 as well.

I was diagnosed just over a year ago at age 44, but when I look back I know I started having symptoms around 16 - 17. I was always told back then that I was just experiencing 'growing pains'; the CF was just from how active I was; and the depression and insomnia was just typical for a teenager.

Fibro, I have no idea.

It was my last rheumatologist who diagnosed it and I saw her from 2010 to 2013. It was definitely there before that. However, with everything else I don't know what is what. Is it the autoimmune disease or the Fibro that's causing whatever symptom? I don't know anymore. My issues started 26 years ago, at 8.

I was diagnosed just over a year ago at age 44, but when I look back I know I started having symptoms around 16 - 17. I was always told back then that I was just experiencing 'growing pains'; the CF was just from how active I was; and the depression and insomnia was just typical for a teenager.

Ugh, "growing pains." Even in the early 00's, when science knew "growing pains" where a made-up crock of bull concocted to brush off childhood pain conditions, I was hearing doctors tell me that. What a miserable, belittling diagnosis that is. I feel for teenage-you.

I can remember having issues from about 14 or so, but it finally knocked me on my butt at 25. Literally one day I did a 7 mile run the next I could not walk. That being said the dr is pretty sure my daughter has it as well and has thought so since she began having migraines at 10

My symptoms started in 1990 and it took almost 9 years for a diagnosis. Even now its difficult with some doctors to explain why I am on certain tablets. Its very frustrating sometimes.

I wish I could figure out how to correct the spelling of symptoms in the title. I know how to spell that word perfectly. I used to win all the spelling bees in school.

Sometimes I just feel so stupid. LOL

I'd say my symptoms began in childhood. I had general malaise.. so much so that I was tested for mono, and everything else that could cause it. I was depressed and didn't get along with the kids at school. I have always suffered with severe constipation. I was put into sports all of my life, but was never very successful, although I sometimes enjoyed myself. I have always had difficulty concentrating. I used to sprain ankles and wrists easily, and got shin splints when I ran track and field. I began having knee pain while working one of my first jobs- which was picking orders in a warehouse. It was extremely physical work. all these years I've done very physical work, thinking to myself that at least my job kept me in good shape and helped keep me fit. Now i know I was actually doing damage to my body, because i have a connective tissue disorder. This is what caused my fibromyalgia. I wish I had known, because I would have protected my body more. There is a 50% chance that my son will get this disorder, so if he shows any signs of it, I will have to be vigilant in using protective bracing and not letting him over-do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back