Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
US
State
Iowa
Hey everyone! I am new to this forum and am desperate!

I have seen many doctors who really haven't helped me with my fibro symptoms. My pain level is terribly high in the mornings, same with my stiffness and fatigue - to the point of not getting out of bed. These symptoms last most, if not all day long. It makes working and everyday life hard for me. I am only 20 years old and have been struggling for about a year. I am a healthy individual, eat right and try to stay active, though staying active is extremely tough when I am constantly exhausted.

I'm getting to the point of hopelessness and don't know where to go from here. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Ideas? Remedies? Doctors in the midwest? Things that have worked for you?

Any information is VERY APPRECIATED!

Thank you everyone!

First, welcome. And we are all here to help you, and want you to get better. First I would suggest getting a new rheumatologist. I am also in the process of getting a new one, due to my old one making me come and see him, him taking notes and then sending me out the door with no help or advice. On the worst pain areas, like mine are my knees, when things are bad, I put Icey Hot on my knees. That does help. Also try heating pads.
I was 21 years old when I got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I was very depressed and hated life and very mad at God. Over time I have gotten better mentally about having Fibro, still have bad days tho. But here is an important thing to remember. You are important and wanted in this world. I know things are hard now, but they will get somewhat better. Im here if you need to talk, just private message me.
Sincerely,
SNCKRS

As snckrs said, you should really see a better rheumatologist. The doctors you have been seeing aren't any good, obviously! Don't worry, the hardest part if when you re just starting and looking for an accurate diagnosis. Yeah, it's one of the hardest moments, the second would be when you get a bad diagnosis. But to me nothing is worse than not knowing what's going on, specially when you are in constant pain!

You need to see a doctor who is familiar with fibro, a lot ignorant doctors don't even believe in fibro... some might do, but might be so ignorant they might think you are too young to have that. Don't worry, you are not alone! Just find a good rheumatologist, might take a while ,but once you do you will feel so happy you did!

If you are depressed, get treatment for that. It helped my fibro a great deal, especially when I was younger. Interview some new doctors and get one who will work for you.

I know how you feel! Although I'm much older than you. I'm so sorry you have this burden to bear when you're only 20.

The thing that helps me is to get things done just a little bit at a time. I learned this from Marla Cilley of Flylady.net. Yes, it's a housekeeping site, but I have learned so much from her that applies in all areas of life. When I have to get something physical done -- housework, exercise, gardening, whatever it may be -- I set a timer for 15 minutes and try to just hang in there for that long. On bad days, I might set the timer for 10 or even 5 minutes. Just do a little, and then rest. Do a little more, and then rest. You'll be amazed how much you can get done that way.

For me, the best part of doing things that way is it gives me hope that I can do more. Yes, I may feel like I've been run over by a garbage truck, but at least this morning I accomplished getting all the dishes out of the sink and into the dishwasher and folding and putting away a load of laundry. At least I accomplished being "normal" for a few minutes here and there. Do that make sense? Not only am I getting the work done that way, but I'm also giving myself a little psychological boost that I can still get things done and my life is not over.

I hope this helps you. Hang in there! We're all here in the same boat, supporting you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back