Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
US
State
Oregon
Does the heat make anyone's Fibromyalgia worse? I moved to Oregon from Arizona to get away from the heat because it was not only causing me to be in physical pain, but I was so short-tempered and angry all of the time especially when I had to be outside. I would get road rage and I almost got my self into a lot of trouble as a result of that. Up here in Oregon, it's been pretty decent during the summers, but this year has been the worst! It's been 90+ degrees up here all summer long and this is the only year in the past 10 years that I can remember it being so consistently above 90 degrees. Does anyone else have a hard time dealing with heat and humidity? Actually the humidity bothers my Fibromyalgia even more than the actual heat does.

It does me, We moved from Indiana to Florida because my husband feels better here. I was diagnosed this month, but my serious issues started within the last year. I think I am worse down here. I am having problems at work and it seems like nobody understands. It is very frustrating.

It can do. Heat can also make you feel very tired and lethargic, and that's something that doesn't help in the slightest. You may find that you have much less energy even than usual, and that might mean that you're not as able to cope with the pain as you feel that you would be normally. If this is the case for you, then mention it to your doctor, as they might be able to give you some kind of advice that could help you cope with the weather that you struggle with.

Heat is bad for me but the humidity is the worst. Something about all that moisture just kills my muscles and I constantly feel like I've just finished running a marathon. Luckily I live in ohio so our heat doesn't last too long. I've found that soaking my feel in cool water can help me cool off faster which oddly helps my muscles feel better. Weird because usually the only thing that seems to help even a little bit is a heating pad...

That's a lot. This temperature is very high. That was the best decision you made. In my country it is very hot too, but is less than that. That heat is very high and amazing. In my personal opinion I do not like the heat, that cause me harm.

Too much cold or heat is awful for me. The humidity makes me feel so weak. I really dislike humid weather! Where I live winters are mild, but summers are scorching, this one was very mild tho. Good thing is a dry weather.

Heat bothers me tremendously. Summers are pure torture . It completely wipes me out for even a short amount of time exposed to heat or sun, and high humidity seems to double the negative effects. Even when the temps inside the house are warm it makes me extremely irritable. And if I know I am going to be in the heat or sun, I get very panicked because of the fear of how bad the fatigue will be later. Hydrating with very cold water seems to help some but if I can avoid it I will at all costs.

I can handle the heat better then the cold. Cold is very painful to me, but the heat especially the humidity makes me feel dizzy and cranky. I think the best climate for someone with a pain condition would be the happiest in some type of mild climate.

I must be the only one who finds a new lease of life with warmer tempretures;l have been travelling to the carribean every year for the last seven years for only
a month at a time. My body feels great, no symptoms what soever and for a short time l can do more physical things and not having to compromise
every action that i do. Its cold for me in England u.k and our summers are not much to get excited about andcthe british winters are a nightmare for me.
l can sympathise with you all who struggle under such extrteme heat and wish you all cooler days ahead...

I can handle the heat better then the cold. Cold is very painful to me, but the heat especially the humidity makes me feel dizzy and cranky. I think the best climate for someone with a pain condition would be the happiest in some type of mild climate.

Melissa, I think that if I were asked what gives me more pain, if cold or heat, I'd go for cold. I'm actually amazed a lot people say that the heat gives them a lot problems. Because I seem to be in more pain when it's cold.

Someone told me once, there are 'cold intolerant' FMS people and also others that are 'heat intolerant' people.

Great thread! I live in Oregon and doctor said I would feel better in Arizona or California. I was only diagnosed May of this year so I do not have a lot to go on.. Since May I have not had a good day in the heat or the cold or rain :( I have noticed that the change in weather is horrible for me and all the other days are about the same (painful)! In that way I think a dryer climate may be better for me? It's funny how we are all effected differently.

Yes....humidity is a killer.. makes me swell in the muscles and joints and hurts like crazy. I have to have it cool at all times. Changes in barometric pressure certainly can affect fibro too. We have a lot of water in our bodies and this reacts to weather patterns.

I have problems with overheating indoors. What most people think of as room temperature has me sweating buckets and feeling drained. A room that other people would find warm makes me feel lightheaded and frantic to get out and cool down. At work my coworkers are wearing sweaters and using space heaters under their desks. I'm in short sleeves and have a fan going.

On the other hand, if I get cold, my muscles all start to spasm, so I have a very narrow range of "acceptable" temperatures, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back