DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
SE
State
stockholm
Hi Everyone

I have recently been diagnosed with fibro by my GP but to be 100% sure he wants me to also see an occupational therapist, physiotherapist and a psychiarist and gather all the info about what i have been going through.

So at the moment im in limbo not knowning what i can or shouldnt do.

Last week was my birthday and my husband treated me to a spa day, it was heaven being in warm water and being in the sauna( my body loves heat). I decided it would be nice swimming a few length (big mistake), I did one length and my left thigh cramped up, i was in agony! that was the end of swimming. It took ages for the cramp feeling to disappear and now 4 days later, my legs are aching, i mean i only swam one length, should i still be feeling pain?

Do you ache for a long time after you have exercised?

Yes! I am currently in day 6 of a fibro flare ....walked on the treadmill at the gym last Monday and Tuesday...Wednesday woke up with every muscle in my body yelling at me. You just never know how your body is going to react to exercise.

This is puzzling, I've seen reports that after some exercise we feel better, others that it hurts more, I guess that it's necessary to get the body limits?

Anybody who gets cramp can find that they're in pain for a little while after having it, so you need to be careful before you assume that you're getting this pain because you have fibromyalgia, and assuming that you wouldn't have had it otherwise. Chances are, somebody without the condition could have had this pain too. However you have learned that you shouldn't push yourself too hard, which is important. Of course you need to exercise wherever possible, but it's vital that you know when to stop, because as you rightly say, your recovery time might be a little bit higher when you're drawing comparison to somebody who doesn't have the condition at all. Try to learn the point when your body is telling you that you should be stopping, and practice stopping just as you hit that point so that you don't take things too far. Eventually, you will learn to understand your body to a much better degree, and that will help your condition a lot in the future.

I find that shorter exercise times more than once a day works for me. Instead of adding time at first, I add intensity. Also watch how much you walk each day, include housework as an exercise time and watch your frequency. I can exercise more intensely if I give myself an easy day for each two days of tougher stuff. During flares I make sure I get out of bed for short walks even though it hurts like the dickens. I don't want to lose muscle tone.

Was the water a bit cold? If it was that might be the reason. The only time I pain after exercise is when I dare to try a new routine that is a bit too much for me, and even then the pain subsides after just one day or so, never more. I'd see a good rheumatologist if I were you.

Thanks for the advice :)

@trellum the water was lovely and warm, thats why im baffled that i got cramp, but gonna take your advice and look for a rheumotologist.

Personally i believe it is ok to experience some form of pain after some exercise it should not make you feel bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back