Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
WA
Looking at my figure you wouldn't be able to tell, but I hardly eat most days. I'm lucky to get an atkins bar or yogurt with grape nuts and MAYBE a dinner. If food is in front of me I'll eat it, but to make it myself, forget it.

I did this HCG diet once that limited you to 1,200 calories. I felt GREAT! It was more food than I normally ate and it gave me simple ideas on what to eat. Usually chicken, seafood, fish or steak; a vegetable and a breadstick for dinner. Similar food for lunch and breakfast switched the meat for an egg I think. I had to put drops under my tongue that was supposed to trick your body into thinking it was pregnant so it would pull from your fat reserves. The pounds just flew off me. Not that I'm a huge person, but I went from like 165 to 140 in a couple months I think.

Anyway, squirrel! So now, I'm still doing the same thing I have done for quite a long time now and I had been keeping my weight to about 146-149. Comfortable at almost 5'7". Not skinny, not overweight, but just out of shape (fat in the belly and around the upper hip area the "tire"). So my pain management doc wants me to try gluten free and eat 3 square meals a day. This was in August that I started doing that. Still eating sensibly and healthy, I put on 30 pounds over 2 months. And never did feel any better for eliminating gluten.

It wasn't sustainable for me to do that. It was so hard! I just don't have an appetite. So now I've gone back to my old ways of eating my atkins bar and/or yogurt in the morning and maybe dinner and I'm stuck with the extra 30 pounds. I know I'll get it off because I still intend on working out, but it's going to take a while. Meanwhile, I'm still not interested in eating. I probably wouldn't have too many dinners if my parents didn't invite us up about once a week.

Way more info than I planned.....My question is, does anyone else suffer from lack of appetite? I have been wondering if it's just me, or if it's a common side affect of the fibro...

Hi,

Ya that sounds about right. I am overweight and have been since I was 16. No matter how much exercise (before I was sick) and how little or much I ate I couldn't lose weight.

Now that I am sick and can't really exercise. I eat like nothing. Like you, something small in the morning and then dinner sometimes. My docs keep saying I need to lose weight, I am 5'3" and about 175 lbs, which is obese but I kept a diary and showed them what I ate and they were shocked. Like my average was like 900 calories per day, maybe 1000-1100 if I went out to eat or had take-out. My thyroid is apparently fine but I don't know. My doc also said I need to eat 3 meals a day and snacks and try gluten free, I gained 10 lbs in like 3 weeks! And when I went back to my 'normal' not really eating, I lost that 10lbs. Our bodies just don't work the same as other people. You just have to do what feels right I think. As long as you are getting the nutrients you need, that is important.

So ya, I barely have an appetite, especially during the bad flares like now. It is so annoying. I drink a vitamin water to keep my vitamins up and that seems to boost my energy (and not just because of the sugar) but food is uninteresting. So maybe it is a fibro thing because your body hurts so much the last thing it wants is more work digesting food, who knows...

Thank you Whitea for responding. Sounds very similar. I take so any various vitamins each day, both morning and night and it doesn't seem to matter. If figure at least I'm getting my vitamins. Ugh, I love to eat and if it's the right things I'll eat it as long as I don't have to cook it. When I do eat, it's way under 1,200 calories like you. I'm so glad you lost it because I haven't.....I think you're right, it's because we just have so much else going on, like pain, our bodies put low priority on nutrition. I definitely don't obsess about pain, it just is what it is....

Hi. I also am obese, I will maybe eat a rice pot or yoghurt around 11am then possibly an apple around 3pm & sometimes I can't stomach the thought of food so my husband ends up making something for himself when he gets in. sometimes I do get a craving for food but more often not I do tell my Dr/Nurses/others that I don't eat a lot & they look at you with disbelief. I used to be so active but it's an effort to get out of bed most days.

Thanks Chez for responding. Couldn't we at least be thin for lack of eating? I used to try and put on weight when I was younger. Bone thin.....Not anymore!

as i had a lap band i would forget to eat. sometimes for days. just wouldnt think of it unless someone told me.
cooking and the metal is hard for me. the wife is useless in the kitchen. thanks giving at my house is store bought.

i have learned that the brain controls how our bodies process foods. your doctors are right 3 meals weather u want it or not.
if you eat once a day your brain knows this and stores it all. never taking it from storage(fat). its says if your not going to feed me
regularly then im going to hold everything. now if you feed yourself on a set time schedule (one fork full is fine) your brain will say
i dont need to hold this or what i have in storage as i know i will be feed at this time. you will lose weight.

removing grains is important. they have no value only to add sugar. grains include all flour and rice. the body stores these for later use.

atkins has grains. notice that they want you to drink 8 glasses of water a day. they are a filler. a better filler is something that takes a long time to
digest. like a carrot(adds sugar to storage) or celery. of course exercise is important to burn calories (storage).

remember its not what other people think its what you think that matters. quality of life is all that matters with fibro and lupus.

do your body right and it will do you right. (BTW im 200 #s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back