Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2009
Country
US
State
MI
Once suffering from FM but last year diagnosed with Addison's disease and now I'm 90% better. However, I want to share with you my experience with my now almost 17 year old son. My son often complained about depression but, since he has ADHD and has been on that medication since 3rd grade, one of the side effects is depression/anxiety so along with ADHD medications, he has also been on an anti-depressant. When he was 14 the pediatrician wanted to have him tested because he had largely stopped growing and at 14 should have been jumping into puberty. My son also complained about body pain a lot and also was very tired all the time. The pain I didn't really address except with Aleeve and the fatigue I just ruled out that he was getting ready for a growth spurt which never came. The pediatrician ran blood work and tested his testosterone level which should have been between 20-80. My son's testosterone was 1! We were referred to a pediatric endocrinologist who ran a ton of blood tests to rule out other illnesses and an MRI to check for pituitary tumors since the pituitary is vital in producing testosterone. The MRI came back clear. Since my son was young, she allowed him/us to decide weather to start treatment or see if his testosterone would kick in on it's own. My son decided to wait and I agreed. When you start messing with testosterone in young boys it can impact their growth plates and my son was going on 15 and his growth plates indicated he was only 12. Over the year we waited my son's symptoms increased. More body pain, more fatigue, and more depression. One year later, testosterone checked again and it was still 1. To make a long story short, I had to give my son testosterone injections for over 6 months and finally his body started to produce it on its own. If his body wouldn't have jump started itself, my son would have been on life long testosterone therapy. He will be 17 this year but growth plate wise is only 14, he is smaller but has a lot of growing to do. My point of all of this is to ask if you have ever had your testosterone checked? I will list the symptoms below so you can compare but remember that not one person will have 100% match to any illness symptoms. I wish you luck and pray for your good health physically and mentally. The best mental medication you can have is socialization. Join a church group, take up a hobby or go to a site like meetup.com to find people with similar interests. Take care.

Common symptoms of low testosterone, outside of low sexual desire, include depression, mental fogginess/fuzziness, difficulty concentrating, anxiety, excessively fatigued, weaker, loss of muscle, increased weight gain, decreased facial hair and a general feeling of not caring about anything. When you are low on testosterone, you often just don't care about anything - you just "exist". Pleasure and desire can be greatly decreased greatly affecting your career and your relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back