Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
UK
State
anywhere
Since i got fibro and struggled with all the new symptoms that seem to arrive year after year I have developed a fear of hospital superbugs and being around people who have severe contagious illnesses.

It's kind of my mind just about coping /or sometimes not when i am very unwell already and feel kind of threatened by even the thought of getting anything else.

Also because i react to strong smells like strong glue....wood dust, powerful household cleaners or even aftershave i like to keep control of my environment and feel so bad when i have to keep explaining to my family that things they bring in or use affect me..make my throat swell and give me a migraine

Has anyone else developed anxieties or guilt for being like this?

I am guessing by the views and no replies I am a bit of an odd ball with this one!

Hi Willow, I have always had a germ phobia so this not knew with my fibro diagnosis. But I have also struggled for a long time with pain and other things so who knows how long I have have had fibromyalgia and never known. As for the strong smells I have had issues here lately with that. I have noticed with cleaning supplies that I can't find something that doesn't make my throat close up when being used. My kids clean for me because I am so bad I can do it anymore. But the smell is so bad it just makes me sick. Gives me the worst migraines. My husband has bought different things trying to find something that doesn't make me sick. Just haven't found anything yet. I hope it helps to know your not alone. Just wish there was something we do could do about it.

Hi BrandySpencer...sorry you have these issues too. My germ phobia developed after the pain was in my whole body and all the other things Vulvodynia, Intersistial Cystitis, tinnitus, jaw pain and i think my mind felt like it was on a merry go round and when i was having good days i wanted to bask in it.

...no worries no additional pressures and other illnesses seemed to be a threat in my subconcious mind.

Funny what our minds do trying to cope.

As far as cleaning products have you looked into ECO brands or natural cleaning products.

Quite honestly all the modern high chemical cleaning products were not around in our grandparents era and they survived just fine. I think the world is a bit obsessed with antibacterial this and high chemical that.

I use a mild washing up liquid solution for just about everything. Maybe your family could do the same for kitchen surfaces, floors,glass, sinks and even in the bathroom.

I do use a branded bathroom cleaner sometimes but i can tolerate the smell of that provided its all rinsed away.

Last edited:
I have thought about the natural cleaning supplies but that's where my germ phobia comes in. Does it kill all the germs like bleach does? I'm the person that will suffer the throat closing and the migraines if I know everything is clean. How silly is that? I just know with my kids in school and sports all the gems and illnesses they are around I don't want to take the risk of catching something. You know how it is the littlest cold can turn into something horrible. I just try to make sure everything is clean as can be.

I had a run in with a family Member, he brought inside the house gas and oils and it affected my breathing, I was told I overreact. If I'd had enough energy It would of been fight on.
I guess ms patients suffer the same symptoms.

Hi Moe yes it is stressful when our loved ones treat us like we are over reacting when we are already battling daily and are often at our limits without things like gas and oils doing that. I would be the same...like BrandySpencer my throat swells up and gets raw ...migraines with smells like white spirit, paint...i have central heating (radiators) but never put the gas fire on as i get the same reaction from gas fumes that i can smell and taste but no one else can!

Dear Brandy...yeah i see your problem...i get my family to wash their hands when they come in with antibacterial but i do understand the mind fearing illnesses because everything we get tends to turn major for us and increases our fibro pain too.

I hate it when my family get sick too...first i worry about them and then when they spread all their germs around coughing spluttering,,, dont always wash their hands.....then go all round the food cupboards and fridge touching everything...then i get paranoid and over wash my hands trying to make sure i don't catch it!

Then if i say anything about please could you sneeze into tissues and wash your hands before you make food i get 'the look'of what a pain in the neck i am...so i get stressed feel a failure/guilt and get a fibro flare anyway.

Cant win eh!

Take Care

Last edited:
I have issues with chemicals too. Recently I got a steamer for my floor with attachments for everything else. I can even clean my countertops bathroom tiles and mattress with it. So far so good!
Sylvia

I have a steamer for my floor but I have seen the attachments for the countertops, bathrooms tiles and mattresses. I will definitely have to look into this. Thanks for that tip.

Well this is timely, I've been able to smell a sivic cat a mile away for yrs. But my nose has been so so sensative at time in the last week it's kinda scaring me. I've already put on ear MUFFS because loud sounds are more like sonic booms. What's next? Gas mask?
I often say, why can't I find a job that involves smelling. I would be at the top of my class. Lol........seriously.

Liquid silver is a natural gem killer, no smell. Not sure about amounts or all that jazz.

Ha Ha Moe you are funny! I have to watch really loud sounds too...would you believe my ears actually rumble if a lorry or anything loud is coming down the road long before i or anyone else can even hear it.

I can also taste chemicals like antibacterial kitchen cleaner or bleach if i so much as go in a room where they have been used. In fact even putting vaseline (petroleum jelly) on my lips tastes strong to me.

Its like we have a sixth sense or a seventh eighth and ninth too!

You are all making me feel less wierd if that is any consolation. I have made a "stink" or two over smells that do not bother anyone else. Perfumes, air plug ins, some cleaners. I got all in it with a coworker and his stupid room freshener. Uggh. Migraine here we come. My daughter and her bathing in perfume then expecting to ride in my car. I have allergies too, so add sneezing and sinus pressure in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back