Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
OR
So a few weeks ago I ran across a paper about an experiment in Brazil. I really want to geek out on the details, but I'll refrain. The bottom line is that they found a synergistic effect between resveritrol and rice bran oil to relieve fibromyalgia symptoms in mice. The synergistic effect was almost as good as giving the mice pregabalin. I read the study a few times, thought about it, and decided it would be a low risk experiment to try this treatment out on myself.

I got ahold of the resveritrol first and started taking a fairly high amount - 500 mg 2x a day. It took me longer to locate rice bran oil, so I was taking resveratrol for about a week before I added the rice bran oil in. I hadn't noticed an improvement from the resveritrol so I assumed it wwould take a while to see any effect from the rice bran oil.

It turns out within an hour of taking my first teaspoon of rice bran oil my pain decreased significantly. I had been in a pattern of moderate pain morning and evening with mixed mild and moderate pain in the middle of the day. The rice bran oil has moved me from mostly moderate to mostly mild pain. I also have more energy (I keep pushing the edges of overdoing it). When I take a teaspoon of the rice bran oil, it tends to last about 12 hours. When I notice that it is wearing off I take another dose (so I take it 2x a day).

I haven't been doing this long, just under a week, but I feel significantly better (still not my old self, but closer than I was) I felt I ought to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rice bran oil, that's a new one on me. But it has a pretty reasonable pricetag...wish the reservatrol was that inexpensive. I'll put it down on my shopping list. Thanks for sharing!

Wow that's worth a try DK....you are great researcher. Thanks

Just went to my somewhat-local healthfood/grocery store and they do not carry it : ( I will have to order it online. DK, are you allowed to mention the brand? I see there are many, and don't know if one is a better quality than the next, but I would take a recommendation from you anyday. Thanks

I had trouble finding it too. I finally found some at New Seasons. I think you might find it in an Asian grocery too. I am out and about right now, but when I get home I will let you know what brand I got.

From the research results I'm pretty sure the rice bran oil will not help unless you are taking the resveratrol, but it may not need to be as high a dose as I am taking. When I run out of 500 mg tablets I will probably order 200 mg tablets and see how low I can go :)

Last edited:
Thanks DK. I'm in the suburbs of SoCal and the nearest Asian market is just a 45min drive. I'll save the myself the wear-and-tear and find it online, lol.

Where did you purchase your rice bran oil and Resveratrol. What is Reseveratrol?

This is very interesting and all... but I couldn't help to wonder about those mice and how they could diagnose them with fibro? When it seems it's so hard to get a definitive fibro diagnosis from most doctors. Sorry if this sounds silly but I am really curious about that! I couldn't help but to wonder...

That's actually a very good question to ask.

Well shoot, I meant to add the title and authors of the study up above. I'll put it at the end of this post. To be clear, the researchers didn't make any claims on how this would affect people. I just liked how they did their research and figured it would be low risk to try

They give the mice a drug that induces fibromyalgia like symptoms. They've also developed behavioral tests to measure those symptoms (for example, the temperature at which the mouse first pulls it's paw away from a warming plate).

There were 6 groups of mice in the study - controls (normal mice no one messed with), negative controls (mice given the fibromyalgia like symptoms and no other treatment), positive controls (mice given the fibromyalgia like symptoms and treated with lyrica) and then the 3 test groups (mice given fibromyalgia like symptoms and treated with resveritrol, rice bran oil, or both).

The paper is
Coadministration of Resveratrol and Rice Oil Mitigates Nociception and Oxidative State in a Mouse Fibromyalgia-Like Model
Caroline Peres Klein,1 Marcos Rodrigues Cintra,2 Nancy Binda,3 Danuza Montijo Diniz,3 Marcus Vinicius Gomez,3 Andre Arigony Souto,4 and Alessandra Hubner de Souza2,

I too was wondering about mice with fibro (now I'm wondering if I've been given the same drug). I just got on the forum but intend to read this research paper when I exit. This sounds like a much healthier way to relieve the pain and possably CFS. Have you noticed any improvement in other symptoms like fibro fog?

I'm sure when I read it they have a hypothesis as to why this combo helps and I know you said you took the resvertol without the oil with no improvement and I'm curious if you have tried the oil without the reservatoll? Do they "activate" each other's properties?
I've been taking an army of anti oxidation supplements it would be great to cut down to just these two things.

I'm excited to learn more an probably give this a try.
Thanks for researching and sharing.

Last edited:
I'd also be interested in learning whether there was any improvement with just the rice bran oil. I would assume there's at least more with the combination, or perhaps none at all with just the oil, but if there's even some improvement in the mice, it might be worth trying the oil alone first, since the other is harder to obtain and more expensive. I'm interested to hear more, I hope you keep us posted on your experience.

Im the study there was little improvement with rice bran oil alone. I haven't tried it myself though.

This week I am under the weather with some kind of bug. So far I haven't missed any work. I suspect I would not fare as well without these suppliments, but I'm not planning to stop taking them to find out :)

Indeed, nothing like researching and finding all these valid alternatives.

Sorry, Eyesup, I missed your first question about fibro fog (or maybe it is just a sign of no improvement :))

I'm actually really bad at gaging how much fibro fog is affecting me. In general all of the symptoms seem to go up and down together. The fog always affects me to some degree. I use a lot of checklists and other techniques to double check my work these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back