Has anyone else been diagnosed with PTSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queenie

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
CA
State
ON
I was interested if anyone else has been diagnosed with PTSD? When I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia after months of testing for everything under the sun, my doctor said that makes sense. He was referring to my PTSD and acquiring fibromyalgia. He said that there's a link.

I haven't looked too much into it yet, but I was wondering if I'm alone? :???:

I guess that makes sense. I haven't been diagnosed with PTSD, but I have gone through some very traumatic events in life (near death experience, having friends die suddenly/violently). I think after a while all the stress makes the neurons dysfunction and die, and makes the body susceptible to fibromyalgia. So combine that with chemicals we are exposed to in everyday life that specifically cause neurological problems (ex: organophosphate pesticides) and this could be the result.

I have been diagnosed With PTSD before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia the doctor said the feel like My PTSD has caused my fibromyalgia.
Its very hard to have both I understand.

It sure makes sense to have both. I've not been diagnosed with PTSD but it wouldn't surprise me. I think some diagnosed as bi polar are likely to have PTSD as the real cause. It's sad how one disorder left undiagnosed/misdiagnosed can lead to another. Chain reaction.

@sureimsore - I agree with you, the constant stress has to be a factor.

I have been diagnosed With PTSD before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia the doctor said the feel like My PTSD has caused my fibromyalgia.
Its very hard to have both I understand.
Your doctor came to the same conclusion as well, interesting. Thanks for understanding, it is hard to have both I agree.

@Eyesup - The chain reaction is so upsetting. I'm sitting here thinking to myself if I'd originally had dealt with the PTSD would I have fibromyalgia?

I find this a funny one. Almost of us can say we have had PTSD.yet so can half the world.
I don't think it started mine.it didn't help that's for sure ,but a lot of ppl how have had PTSD a lot worse then most do not have Fibro.
It's hard and we all grab at straws .maybe we will never know in our life time.and I'm sure that make this illness worse .just the fact we don't no.x

@forgetmenot - Well it's the old chicken before the egg! Are the two linked? I wonder if all the long term stress has contributed to fibromyalgia.

I went to a chronic pain clinic on Thursday. The first part is a 90 minute mental health evaluation. The Psychologist thinks that chronic stress or multiple layers of stress can trigger fibromyalgia. He also mentioned PTSD as well.

There seems to be a link with cortisol by product that's left in the brain after extreme stress and fm. Lots of people develop it after a trauma, either long term or one time, these can create ptsd. Lots of speculation, but no definitive answer. If I can blame this all on the horrors I went through as a child it helps ;)

It's also possible that PTSD and fibromyalgia are not cause and effect. Instead, they may both come from the same root cause.

There's a strong genetic effect for fibromyalgia - I think I read you are 8x more likely to get fibromyalgia if an immediate family member has it. It could be that the same genetics that predispose someone to get fibromyalgia also predisposes them to get PTSD.

But, like Vanessahand said, there are no definitive answers... Yet :)

My dad has chronic fatigue with pain..although his pain is not as wide spread or severe as mine and is much more controlled with moderate pain killers.

He was diagnosed age 46 ...mine started out of the blue at 47 ....i never understood what was really wrong with him and had no idea this thing was coming my way one day!

We both are perfectionists and sensitive and i have had lots of trauma....he had fair amount of work and family stress too prior to getting CFS.

I was sexually abused as a kid, so I guess there is a big chance I suffered from PTSD at some point in my life (maybe i still do). Oddly enough I started to experience pain issues very early on. I'd not be surprised if there was a link, I have heard stories from people who have gone through really traumatic events then after that start experiencing fibro symptoms and such. I'd not be surprised if traumatic events do trigger fibro...

I was diagnosed with PTSD at the age of 14, I am 40 now. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 5 years ago. I have never heard of a link nor has it been mentioned by any of my doctors, but now I am curious. I might ask at my next appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back