Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
FL
So I had an MRI of my neck done back in December, I had to ask the doctor to order it and then re explain why I thought I needed it!!! To make a long story short they didn't call me to come in even though I called the "results" line and left a message stating that I realized no news was probably good news but I would like a call back just to confirm. At my doctor apt. Two weeks ago I inquired about the results, turns out I have several bulging disc along with bone spures. This is another grrrr for me
I asked the neurosurgeon if the discs could be from our car wreck as my severe pain started just days after the wreck and the original milder pain had sent me to the hospital several times because the pain started going down my left neck, shoulder, chest and down my arm and sometime would tingle or go numb. I'm now beginning to think the severe pain may be from nerves in my neck being pinched to death.

I'm waiting to hear back from the outpatient facility to schedule an epidural steroid injection but the more I read about this procedure the less I want to spend 3500. For something that even if it does help its only temporarily and the procedure comes with a little more risk then I'm comfortable with. I'm feeling pretty confused right now.

I'm curious how many of you have had an MRI of any of your spine done.
Anyone know anything about bone spures on the spine?
Also has anyone else had an epidural steroid injection?

Last edited:
OOF, that is alot of $ for some temporary relief!

Someone else in the post "odd question" under general discussion mentioned having many issues, including bulging discs, so you may want to
read that post, because she mentions what treatment she uses.

Sorry I have no clue on the bone spurs; I checked out one site that says surgery usually helps:

"Surgery, such as a laminectomy, is designed to relieve the pain and neurological symptoms by removing the bone spurs and thickened ligaments causing painful nerve compression. The majority of patients who undergo surgery for bone spurs experience good results"

Was this mentioned as an option?

Hope someone that has experience with this replies eyesup.

Thank you sureimsore (SIS...I love that!) Yes surgery was talked about but he down played the situation and tried to skim past images that showed almost no protection around my spinal cord. I'm not even sure how a steroid will reduce a bone spure. But I'm terrified of any surgery that would involve working around the spinal cord. I think I'm still in a little shock. I can't think strait.

I will find that thread. Thanks

My mom has undergone that kind of treatment, but yeah, the effects lasted roughly 6 months. As for me, I have had MRIs done of my spine, they found something weird in the dorsal area, and two bulging discs in the lumbar one. I got really busy with the whole moving to the Netherlands thing that I haven't gone to check with another doctor (I'm tired of seeing doctors). So far I have managed to keep the pain from those two bulging discs under control by just sleeping on the side and trying not to bend over to pick things up and such. But yeah... I had the very same symptoms you had in the beginning, but in my legs! I even had slight twitching. I still have sciatica pain, as well as perm pain in the groin area (right side).

As far as I know bulging discs in the lumbar area are rather common, but not in the dorsal or the cervical spine, so I'm guessing yours are the result of the accident. And all those symptoms you are reporting... they do sound like they are being caused by the bulging discs (I had the same symptoms a couple months after getting hurt).

So sorry to hear they were so irresponsible with your results :( You weren't wrong to think no news was good news, I did too, until the last few years... lots of bad experiences with doctors, clinics, etc. Now I just don't trust people in the healthcare field. I find it so weird that you had to explain to your doctor why you wanted a MRI done; you had a very bad accident!! Of course you needed it!!I hope you feel better soon!!

Please keep us posted!

Thank you Trellum I found it weird too I had to even ask him to order the MRI then when he ask why I thought I needed it I wanted to ask "have you listened at all?" It was no skin off of his head. Dictors!!!

It only helped for 6 months?!!! But no complications. I'm greatful for this feedback. It gives me a little insight. But I still kinda feel like I'm putting a bandaid on something that avoiding fixing it will probably make it worse. Uhg. I wish I could think more clearly.

I hope someone else responds with more exsperiance on this.

Do you think the problems in your dorsal area could be contributing to your fibro? I hope when you get settled you'll get it checked out further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back