Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
CA
Hello everybody. My dentist says I need braces to fix overcrowding of my lower teeth but I've been putting it off because I'm worried it'll be very painful and I don't need more pain. Do any of you wear braces and how has the experience been for you? Thanks for your help, and hope you are all hanging in there.

Yeah. I had my braces when I was twelve years old. I was also scared like you. I was scared of the embarrassment it causes, rather than the pain I have to withstand. I consulted our family dentist and he suggested to use invisible braces. These braces won't show up much. I think you are scared of the pain it might cause. I guess you are an adult, and there is no need to be scared like a little child. Keep in mind that this pain is for a good cause. This gives you strength to withstand the pain.

I wore braces for so many years as a kid. They probably will set you up with invisaline or whatever it's called to wear at night. So the pain shouldn't be that bad. If it is ask your doctor if he can prescribe you something until you teeth finish moving to where they should be...if you don't mind using medications. Not to frighten you but when I was young forever ago I got the clear braces on the top and silver on the bottom. When they first put them on I went to McDonalds after and couldn't even bit into a fry or eat properly for several days. But things have advanced so much you'll likely experience very little pain. If you do buy a tub of Orajel in case your gums get a little sore. Once they move there is no pain afterwards until they are moved again. Good luck...you probably have a really good dentist. Mine can't give needles worth a crap...once he put too much in too fast and as a reflex I slap his hand away. I avoid him but the rest I've had are all really gentle.

Thanks everyone. I decided to go for it and have set up two consultations this week. I'm not concerned about the cosmetics, just the pain, as pain is magnified for most of us. But it sounds like the pain occurs just when the teeth are moving, not the whole time the braces are in place, and hopefully I can handle that. The Orajel is a great idea.

I had some root canals and new bridges put on that didn't hurt more than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back