Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
State
NSW
Hi I have just found this forum and I hope I can get some help. I have not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia by my GP but am taking Cymbalta (Duloxene) prescribed by her for depression. I am pretty sure i have fibro on reading all the symptoms. I have a flare up at the moment with terrible headaches, IBS and horrible muscle aches and pains, I also feel really depleted which is something I have often. I am 67 years old and shouldn't feel so run down. I am seeing my GP on Monday and will see what she has to say. In the meantime can anyone suggest what I might do to help during this flare up? I live in Australia.

Re: New to this forum

Hi Birgitb, I had a friend with IBS, but otherwise know very little about it. The depression medications have served me well for overall mental well being and not getting to down, but obviously don't help with anything else except perhaps allowing me to keep a more positive outlook so I can keep trying to improve other aspects of my life. I will say, if possible, try to remain active as best you can. It's important to keep getting fresh air and the blood flowing. I can't point to any medical studies to prove it, but from everyone I've spoken to it seems to be a common thread.

I am sorry you have more than a few things to deal with, it must really sap your energy levels. Good for you for not giving up and continuing to help yourself.

Treatments for muscle pains can help reduce suffering. Massages if you can stand the touching and cost can help relieve localized pain.

Let us know what the doctor says.

David has good advice. Even if you can't do much, do what you can to keep moving. It will help in the long run. I walk, swim, and use a stationary bike for my exercise.

If I spend too long in bed, I get a lot of muscle pain. I've found using a thera-cane (or something similar) to massage trigger points helps relieve the pain.

Be really good to yourself and do things you enjoy. Remember to take a few deep breaths every so often.

I have a really hard time taking people's advice on moving when I am in a really bad flare. I'm not lazy, but there's a level of fatigue I can't overcome. When things lift, though, I stretch and walk and even lift light weights.

The IBS is tricky. Are you D or C?

Thanks for your replies. I didn't see my initial post so have posted again. I am trying to stay positive and in top of everything. I will post again after I see my GP

Hi Fibrogirl, at the moment all I can manage is to pretend I am ok with my kids and grandkids. I am very slow at walking around and my feet are really painful some days. I am taking panadol for headaches and they give some relief. A Valium sometimes in the early hours of the morning to just try to relieve the muscle pain. As for the IBS I swing from loose for a few days with horrible stomach cramps to two three days without going at all.

Hi & welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed with IBS about 5 years ago after a lot of visits back and forth to my GP and a colonoscopy finally confirmed it. Medication doesn't seem to help, I tried buscopan and colpermin which didn't help me. Peppermint tea is meant to be good if you can drink it. I've learned over the years what foods to avoid like cabbage and a lot of green veg, I can tolerate a little of these but not too much. Also rich foods like cheesecake or if I'm bad for a few days with my diet I'll pay for it with stomach cramps. Alcohol affects my stomach sometimes too. The biggest thing I've noticed though is stress plays a huge part in IBS and will cause a really bad flare up, I know stress is unavoidable but trying not to let it get in the way too much has caused me a lot less in the way of flare ups. As far as symptoms go you can take normal over the counter medicines to treat them like Imodium for diarrhoea. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck for your appointment.

Flares.... for me, as I have probably said too often on this forum, is first acceptance. Accept that you are going through a real bad time and allow yourself down time. That not only means acceptance of how bad you feel, but also the fact that you cannot do think you enjoy at the moment. Those things that might lift you out from a low. So you need to find other methods, flare-friendly methods, to take you along the awful ride of a flare.

For me, these include, listening to calming and/or uplifting music, dancing from where I am sitting (I know it is silly, but I love dancing!), not paying too much attention to how healthy I am eating (I will eat pasta, bread or cereals for a week because I feel too sick to cook anything else, or order in a pizza etc.), but making sure I take extra vitamins, resting on my bed, doing basic breathing exercises, trying mindfullness and meditation.

I also believe that when you smile, even force smile, your brain thinks it is happy so it helps lift the worst of the depressing feelings.

But overall, it is simply acceptance that it really sucks right now...but that it will get better (even if it is only a little).

Hi Fibrogirl, at the moment all I can manage is to pretend I am ok with my kids and grandkids. I am very slow at walking around and my feet are really painful some days. I am taking panadol for headaches and they give some relief. A Valium sometimes in the early hours of the morning to just try to relieve the muscle pain. As for the IBS I swing from loose for a few days with horrible stomach cramps to two three days without going at all.

For IBS, everyone is different. It's definitely partly about learning your intolerances. I find Citrucel taken with PLENTY of water helps quite a bit. Sorry for your pain. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back