Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
il
I recently had a mri. It stated I had 3 bulging disks at levels 3-4, 4-5, L5-S-1 and that one is pushing on my nerves. Went to see a surgeon and he said there was nothing he could do for me all my pain was from my fibro! I felt I was dismissed because of my fibro. Has anyone experienced this or something similar? ? Any suggestions what I should do next?
Thank you for listening.:-(

That is just harsh to have to hear and yes we have all heard that one before. Good luck.

Thak you f or replying. It is so sad with the millions of fibro suffers that we still get shunned away and the medical profession is so uneducated still to this day.

Sorry that you were blown off. Get a second opinion.

But know that surgery may not be the answer. My husband's neurosurgeon says that people can have horrible backs with no pain, while others will lesser problems have minimal pain. The key as I understand it is to wait as long as you can before any surgery. With repeat back surgery, the rates of success decline significantly. You can also end up with failed surgery syndrome as my husband did. The good result lasted only one year. His entire back is "a mess" to quote the doc. Next surgery will only be when there is acute risk of spinal nerve injury not just pressure.

Good luck.

same here with c3 to c7 my neck is a mess, there is a type of surgery they can straighten and re mobilise the bones by removing the cartilidge and inserting a device that is like two plates with a pivot or ball between them...problem is that its only used in america.. im in france and no one uses that treatment that i know of.
it would cure my upper spine problems but at 64 i would have to go private..
i have a ridgid collar i use from time to time (black and dark blue) so its not too noticeable under a shirt collar or roll neck jumper.
it helps to relieve stress and musculair pain and lift the weight from the bulging disks.. but .ot to be used too much or the neck gets weak.
by only using the collar when really needed the pain can be regulated to a bearable level.. avoid turning the head back and forth, sit opposite people rather than by their side and twisting your neck to talk to them. i still ride a motorcycle, and swim but avoid excessive neck movement or strain.

are you sure they weren't looking at my MRI? :) Except mine showed bulging discs thru c-7. Fortunately or unfortunately mine was done before my fibro diagnosis, I had surgery a year ago, and it did eliviate alot of my burning pain, obviously I had a lot more pain which resulted in the diagnosis of fibro. I find it hard to believe dr.s are so insensitive, but know it to be true. Good luck, you might ask about a home traction unit. I got one about 5 years ago and it really relieved tightness in the neck and shoulder muscles.

It is too bad your surgeon was so dismissive.

However, there are two important things to know: one is that MRIs can show false positives, in fact they have something like a 10-20% rate of false positives when doing spinal scans. The second thing is that back surgery is very drastic, takes a long time to recover from, and can easily make things worse rather than better. There are probably very few situations where someone is DEFINITELY going to be better off with that kind of surgery.

So this is not something I would rush into.

To start with, seek a second opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back