Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
ca., us
Hi I have had fm symptoms since I was a kid and was always told it was something else. At 36 after my 3rd child, my migraines began then a month later sudden cronic fatigue set in that was so severe that I was literally bedridden for 20 years! Perhaps I'd have about 5 good days a year. In 2007 my 2 year old dog began letting me know about my oncoming migraines. With time, I learned about service dogs and today, we have been a team for 7 years. I take Provigil for the fatgue. Is there anyone in Orange County, Ca. who uses their dog for fibro problems? Or, just anyone in OC who is suffering as badly as I am? Thanks

Hi Beca! Sorry, I'm not in Orange County, Ca right now, but I know someone who actually uses a service dog (she suffers from fibro as well). I don't have a service dog myself, but I believe it would be wonderful to have one. Anyways, the friend who has a service dog has benefited from this symbiotic relationship :) The dog has been so useful, actually has let her know of several things, including a breast tumor. Yeah, actually some dogs can 'detect'' cancer. After hearing that I started researching online and it seems this isn't uncommon at all for dogs. Amazing creatures they are!

Hi. Thanks for responding. I know what you mean exactly about those "special dogs". I happen to have one. I have a Service Dog named Grace who is 9 years old. She's been in service for 7 years. When she was almost 2 one day she suddenly began letting me "know" about a half hour before I have migraine attacks that are daily. We have it timed very well that when she warns me, I get a pill from her vest pocket and it usually nips it in the bud. (I haven't had to go to the ER for it for a couple of years now. Many people think all service dogs have to be big and don't understand that its all in the brain. I've searched the web for a similar breed of dog that is like mine and have been unable to find one that proves that she is indeed very special. I once read that if you have 750 trained service dogs all together that maybe ONE of them may have the type of innate ability that my dog Grace has. You see, Grace is a 5.5 pound Maltese. She's more than like my left hand or something, she';s a part of me. All of my family and in laws have known her and accepted her for many years. For example if we have a large party at an eating establishment, no matter how fancy, Grace is always there. She's better behaved then most children. I have a mat that she lays on and is always very mellow and always goes with the flow. In fact, My daughter is getting married in San Diego at my sister-in-laws's home which overlooks the ocean. This will be in July. There will be about 30 guests 1/2 will be family of my daughter's and her fiance's and they have known Grace for years also. As the mother of the bride, one might think that I am worried about sticking out. But Grace IS FAMILY. When she was a baby, before her gifts developed, when I got her, she weighed only 10oz. A can of Coke was way bigger than she was. She was a baby shrimp. Now she's just a shrimp. I've been involved with a private online service dog support group for people who have depression, bi polar, ptsd or anything brain related such as fibro and learned all the rules and laws. We've also had gatherings in central Ca. just above Santa Barbara and the people are the kindest group of people I've ever met. If anyone is interested in this group, please contact me and I'll be glad to give you some information about this wonderful support group. They're very helpful and if somebody's having a bad day, they say so and others chime in and help cheer the others up. Or if you're thinking of getting a dog, they can tell you what to look for in a future dog and such.

She sounds like an amazing dog!

I have 2 Labrador Retriever's and while they are not service dogs, they are my life. I couldn't live without a dog. Kira, my female, has a bit of a temperament issue. When I'm feeling off she is more reserved around me. Her change in demeanour makes me stop and think about how I am feeling. She is always right.

I've never thought about having a service animal for Fibromyalgia. I bet they are wonderful though.

Hi, Thanks for respondinding to my message. Yes, I completely agree with you that some dogs can detect things. My dog Grace, also knows when my husband's blood levels are off. He's type 2. She just started doing these things out of the blue one day just before she turned 2. I think she was coming out of "puppy dom" and began realizing things. It's really weird because I've never ever heard of a dog of her breed doing the kind of things that she does. Its like she's a service dog in a small body. However, as I did more and more research, I discovered that service dogs have always been in all sizes because its in the brain of the dog. In 07 I had just joined Dogster and I happened upon a dog who was a service dog and I commented to the person that I admired what her dog could do. I also told her what I had just discovered my dog could do.She wrote back and suggested I join her servicedog support group. I did, and learned all kinds of things. About my rights and the rights of my dog. How most people carry a letter from their doctor stating that they were suggesting that thair patient use a service dog and the reason why they needed it. I took the letter and other required information to the shelter and they gave me a license for Grace. The people who have real service dogs usually carry some type of information on their dog or person. You can also tell a real service dog form someone who is faking it by the way the dog acts. When Grace's vest goes on, she goes into "working" mode and is much better behaved than any child in a place to eat or Target for example. They are very disaplined. It takes thousands of hours of training and it isn't something for everyone. But because I have daily migraines and Grace warns me before they come, I can reach in her vest and take a Maxalt and lots of times it never hits me or it isn't as bad as I know it can get. I've had to modify what I do for example when I'm in a store and go to pay for something, I drop her leash and stand on it. I know she won't go anywhere but I've actually had a couple of times where someone tried to take her. I was horrified and screamed out loud what the person was trying to do and security got them. Anyway, there are different things you always have to watch also for instance at the mall, parking near where there is grass for her to void and making certain that you keep an extra water bottle and dish in the car, things like that. But now, after 7 years, its second nature. Take care, Beca

I joined a service dog group in 07. Its for people with all kinds of problems. That's how I learned alot of what I know. We even try to get together in central California once a year. The person who is president is named veronica. They're on facebook as psychiatric service dogs but its not necessarily for people with mental problems. For example, fibromyalgia is something to do with the brain, right? A person can join and not participate in conversations or not or jump in when they want to. It's a closed monitored line to keep out persons who don't understand or who would make rude comments. Everything I know about service dogs I owe to her. The people on this site are helpful and loving caring people. Sometimes I've just typed in that I was having a bad day and there's always been someone who would say something to make me feel better. There are people all over the country in this group. I think the next convention in about June 6 but I'm not certain about the date. Its not going to be a crowd of people. Its usually about 30 humans and 30 dogs. over a 3 day weekend. This year it will be in Lompoc which is just north of santa barbara and solvang. Why don't you give her a call and ask some questions. She knows me as Becky and my dog's name is Grace. I think you'd like it. Beca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back