Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TN
I have family members who have been diagnosed with Fibro, but I have a friend who I am almost CERTAIN has it, but she cannot go to the doctor because she doesn't have insurance to pay for the visit, the 'scripts, etc...

She doesn't qualify for that Obamacare thing, TN hasn't expanded Medicare so she can't get that either. Is there any way around it? Or could someone give a general idea of the costs she'd be looking at to at least be diagnosed?

So sorry to hear about your friend, it indeed is a difficult situation. I'm sorry to inform you that even those with a decent health insurance face issues trying to get fibro diagnosed. Because your success rate depends a lot on how good and knowledgeable your doctor is, if you see a lousy rheumatologist, then odds are he will not diagnose you. If your friend wants to get an accurate diagnosis, she needs to see a rheumatologist that is familiar with fibro, otherwise she'll be throwing her money away.

I guess we are going to have to do some research. We live in a very small town where everyone's pretty close-knit. There's a couple metropolitan cities semi-close by, so I'll find out if any of them actually "believe" Fibro, as some still seem to think it's a made up condition to game the system or something.

Yeah, I really reaaally recommend you to research! Because if your dear friend decides she wants to get a diagnosis soon and is willing to spend some on that, then she really needs to make sure she is going to pay to see a rheumatologist who actually believes in fibro. You'd not believe how many people come here complaining they can't get an accurate diagnosis or they were blown off by a rheumatologist after paying a hefty bill! It breaks my heart, because I know there is nothing worse than not knowing! I'm going thru the same issue with other health problems.

Best of luck! Please keep us posted!

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I would say try to find a government run Clinic. Some are free but others like Family Health Centers go on a sliding scale by your income. Try to find the main one for your area that has a pharmacy in it. That way you can get your medications for a lower cost. If they don't have a pharmacy then sometimes they will give you a voucher to take to the local pharmacy for a discount on the price.

Hope this helps you. :)

1sweed, we have a gov't run clinic, but they're mostly for sexual health concerns. Birth control, std's, I suppose the common cold or something simple like that, but nothing major. How would I go about finding one of those? Just type in gov't run clinic near <my zip?>

First do a web search for Family Health Centers, in TN, then once you find the ones in your state you can find what is close to you. Yes, they deal with minor things, but can refer you to a neurologist or rheumatologist, and the price is much less. They can also order Cat Scans and MRI's, and X-rays and such. Check into it and get set up with one and see what they can do for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back