Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
OR
I was diagnosed at the beginning of August and placed on a low dose antidepressant. After about a month, I could tell it was helping. I'm a teacher and now school is in full swing. I'm making lifestyle changes as recommended by my doctor and still taking the meds.

I don't feel nearly as bad as I did in May and June, which is great ( when I thought I would die). By Friday, I'm pretty beat. But here's the weird thing. It's like my body thinks it should be in more pain but something isn't allowing it to be. I get these sore achey twinges, but they don't stick around. Still stiff, still fatigued.

It's just weird...almost like my body knows it isn't well but it's not being allowed to complain. Anyone else experience anything like that?

I personally have never experienced this, but I have heard of it before, so there are others who have experienced this. Am I right in assuming that you feel as your body has been over pushed, and where you would normally feel pain preventing you from going any further you just physically can't , without actually feeling the pain itself?

Yes, I'd say that's an accurate description. It's very strange.

It sounds to me like your knows how it feels and is trying to tell you something, but the damn meds are sending you the wrong messages. I know the pills are helping you to cope with things, but for the long term I would really try and take care of the depression soon. Pills will only take you so far. It numbs you of what you are really feeling. Get healthy. One day the pill won't work.

I find I can block pain for quiet a considerable time but it never ends well. I can block so well I do not notice my pain levels going up but the more the pain increases the more energy it takes to block it and inevitably results in me have a massive screaming emotional breakdown on my family, having to take more pain killers, and spending a week in bed.
If you feel pain trying to come through but seem to be blocking it you need to take an honest look at whether you are overdoing things - if when I start blocking I pay attention and slow down and rebalance myself I will not have the massive breakdown. It does take time to learn to manage the condition and learn what we can and cannot do - and lots of us still get it wrong sometimes.

Fibromyalgia is a very tricky condition, almost any type of symptom you can think of is possible to feel with this ailment. I too take a low dose antidepressant and although it does help to raise my serotonin levels a little bit, there is no medicine that is going to totally eliminate the symptoms of Fibromyalgia...at least not yet. The main thing to do to keep all of the symptoms at bay is to stay as balanced as you can both in the physical sense as well as in the mental sense.

Make sure that you are getting plenty of sleep, eating really clean, and getting at least 30 minutes of exercise daily. I also lost 45 pounds by walking and that too has seemed to help with the Fibromyalgia. The aches and fatigue are probably some of the toughest symptoms to treat with this condition. Avoid stress as often as you can and you can also use something like Advil which has seemed to help me quite a bit when I have a painful Fibro flare. Again, there is no exact thing to do, just keep trying healthy and positive things until you find something that works best for you and your body.

I personally take warm bubble baths to help with the aches and I listen to calming music as often as I possibly can. Anything that relaxes you will help in the long run. Everybody is custom made and so what works for one person may do nothing at all for someone else with the same symptoms. One of the most important things to do is to keep your body moving, sitting a lot or staying in one position for too long is never a good idea with Fibromyalgia, even on days when you hurt so badly that you can't move. The biggest thing is to remember that balance in all things tends to work the best for most ailments. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon:)

I think I have experienced this, but it hasn't taken place often. I'm not surprised tho, because everyone experiences this disease differently, there are so many quirks and twists. This is such a tricky condition, it's even trickier when people with tricky bodies have it.

It sounds to me like your knows how it feels and is trying to tell you something, but the damn meds are sending you the wrong messages. I know the pills are helping you to cope with things, but for the long term I would really try and take care of the depression soon. Pills will only take you so far. It numbs you of what you are really feeling. Get healthy. One day the pill won't work.

My thoughts, Josh! Pills made things worse for me, specially the damn antidepressants, those damn little pills made me gain a lot weight! If I hadn't put the effort losing the weight 2 years ago and if I hadn't stopped taking those pills back then, I'm sure I'd be obese by now! Pills often make things worse, hence I always check online when I get a new treatment.

You can find that anti-depressants can distort your thinking sometimes. Often, the first one that you're tried with might not be the best for you, so if you find that you're feeling a little odd on them, it might be a good idea for you to go back to your doctor and ask if you would be able to try another dose. After being on them for almost two months now, you should be feeling positive effects, so if you're feeling some negative ones then you should certainly go back. The mind is a weird and wonderful thing, also. You are expecting pain because you know that you have a condition that causes pain - yet your medication might be helpful enough to allow you not to feel the pain. If changing medication doesn't help, then you may find that counselling does, as it could definitely help you to get your mind in order about what you've been going through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back