Not open for further replies.

Tuppence

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
Would Rather Not Say
I am very lucky because I am a writer. I can work at home, I can stop when I'm tired or in pain, I can go to the bathroom without a whole office of people seeing the way pain makes me walk. If I have a good day at the weekend I can work at the weekend.

But I do find writing difficult because I'm always forgetting words or using the wrong word without meaning to. I miss words out and write the opposite of what I mean. I do it in speech too which gets me into all sorts of trouble but it is worse in a way when I'm writing because I'm supposed to be good at using the right words and I worry about what will happen if it gets worse.

It's also hard when I have wrist pain as I have to type with one hand which slows me down.

I am a writer to and find this ability of remembering how to spell words correctly a big problem. The things that help me is having a Dictionary handy, as well as, Thesaurus (gives you choices in words to use), and another thing that is handy is setting your browser for open tabs. That way if your typing and your not sure if your spelling is correct you can open a new tab page and type in the search the word your trying to spell and that way get the correct spelling. Then carefully close that extra tab and return to your writing.

I use that method a lot because often times if you don't know how to spell a word you can not find it in the Dictionary. lol

As for forgeting it during speech the best thing is to slow down and try to think of a word or words, that mean the same thing, but are easier to say. And if you goof, just say I have trouble with words sometimes. Most of the time people understand and go "honey your not the only one with that problem," which of course does not make you feel any better, but gets you through the moment. :)

Hope this helps in knowing your not alone in this and we truely understand how it makes you feel. :)

Is there any way of giving rep points for posts? This post is so helpful, thank you!

My laptop puts a red line under words it doesn't recognise which helps and it gives suggestions too. I have no idea why it does that, it just started happening one day! But when a word is perfectly spelled but incorrectly used, it doesn't really help. I think using a thesaurus is a brilliant idea.

It's good to know people understand that kind of thing, I tend to think people don't understand but maybe I see what I expect.

One word I always get wrong is fibromyalgia but I think I'm going to get lots of practice in saying that!

What do you write if you don't mind my asking?

I don't mind telling you that I write on blogs. Generally, my writing tends to inform people how how to do things in a easier way. Kind of like my above post. I have written short articles on gardening subjects and quitting smoking, also about horses I had when I was younger and dealing with life in a wheelchair and etc... So my writing reflects more on helping others deal with issues in friendly informative ways.

As for your other question you can help others if you like their comments by clicking on the little yellow star in the box under that persons name and add whatever comment you wish to give. It is private and no one knows who gave them credit, but it is a nice way to show others that their comments helped you. :)

P.S. If you get lost on Fibromyalgia, here, just look up to the top of each page and it is spelled there for you. :)

I am very lucky because I am a writer. I can work at home, I can stop when I'm tired or in pain, I can go to the bathroom without a whole office of people seeing the way pain makes me walk. If I have a good day at the weekend I can work at the weekend.

But I do find writing difficult because I'm always forgetting words or using the wrong word without meaning to. I miss words out and write the opposite of what I mean. I do it in speech too which gets me into all sorts of trouble but it is worse in a way when I'm writing because I'm supposed to be good at using the right words and I worry about what will happen if it gets worse.

It's also hard when I have wrist pain as I have to type with one hand which slows me down.

Something similar happens to me... I actually seem to be forgetting a lot stuff. When I'm really tired my mind isn't clear at all and I end up writing things that don't make much sense. When I see them later I'm all like... woah :lol:

By the way, I'm also a writer, but the kind of writing I do now doesn't seem to make me think as much as I did before. I think we both might be needing some brain training ;) Seriously, I think we all need to find a way to keep our brains more active and awake.

The brain is like a muscle that needs constant training... if you deprevie it from it... then you will be facing this kind of things. I noticed I felt dumbed down since I started playing video games, I don't do it anymore, but ever since I did that I feel my brain sharpness is on a downward spiral.

This happens to me with words as well. I will use wrong words. Sometimes I forget how to spell the most common words. It happens when I write and also can happen when I talk.

I get a sort of brain fog, if that's what you mean. It usually happens when I'm really tired. I can't seem to put my thoughts together all that well. Sometimes I'll forget how to spell words, or I'll have a word right there, but I can't pull it out of my brain. Very annoying and troublesome when you're a writer...I'm with ya.

I think you were given some good suggestions in this thread. I'll have Word or Open Office up to assist. Google and online dictionaries are also my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back