Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
AU
State
New South Wales
Hello, first time posting here. Nice to meet you all.

I was diagnosed with FM in 2013 but have had the symptoms since 2011. It's been a tough thing to come to terms with, but as the years have gone on I have become more and more accepting of it. Anyway, I'm not really here to share my story. Rather, I want to inquire about a bit of a speech problem I have been having over the last few years, of which I am not sure whether it is FM related or not.

This issue has manifested itself more recently as I have started being a lot more social and just speaking more in general. Essentially what happens is after a reasonably long period of speaking, I feel as if my mouth muscles 'give way' and my speech becomes 'slurred', but not in a way I would consider typical. I have seen through research that slurred speech can be a symptom of FM but I'm not entirely convinced that this is what I'm experiencing. Let me give you some further details.

Every morning for the last few months I have been doing vocal exercises to 'warm up' my voice for speaking, followed by reading a few pages of a book out loud. I started doing this because I noticed that my speech was naturally a little sloppy in general and that I needed to work on my enunciation. This has been a HUGE help to me. I have seldom had any issues speaking clearly and articulating myself since. The only time I had any trouble was after I would speak for longer periods of time in a social encounter, as mentioned earlier.

So I decided to take this one step further. As an experiment, I carried out my reading out loud each morning for longer to see if I reached this 'slurring point'. I did. I can verbalise around 5 pages of this particular book before I come to a point where my mouth muscles just refuse to cooperate anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrendously bad - I can still read to a decent standard, but I find that every 5 or 10 words or so I struggle to articulate it correctly, and feel the need to stop momentarily to 'reset' my mouth muscles. Reading doesn't come naturally after this point, and it is a huge struggle to continue on. If I stop and don't speak much for a few hours, I feel as though my mouth 'resets' and I am fine to speak normally again.

What I am wondering is if my experiences are similar to anyone else here. Again, I am not entirely sure if this is a FM related symptom. I don't think what I am describing is 'slurred speech' in the typical sense. If anyone has any input as to what they think is going on and/or can point me in the right direction for rectifying this, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

I don't know if this is quite the same but every so often I have problems with speech. With me it happens pretty quickly after I start talking and it's like I've lost control of my tongue. I don't slur as such but my tongue doesn't make the right shape to go with the words, if you know what I mean. I then become embarrassed which makes it worse.

This will happen on a few occasions, over a period of days, before it'll disappear for a few months.

I never thought that it could be Fibro. related but I do get aching in my jaw and tongues are only muscle, so may be it is the Fibro.

I'm going to do a bit of research and will let you know if I find anything that might be useful to you.

I have started to stutter.i swear to god,its driving me mad.im 44what the hell is going on,

With me it happens pretty quickly after I start talking and it's like I've lost control of my tongue.

I can really relate to what you are saying there. That's really the perfect way to describe it. Before I started doing vocal exercises/reading, I used to get it quickly after I started talking as well.

I'm going to do a bit of research and will let you know if I find anything that might be useful to you.

Thanks a lot!

I can really relate to what you are saying there. That's really the perfect way to describe it. Before I started doing vocal exercises/reading, I used to get it quickly after I started talking as well.

Thanks a lot!
Yes slurred speach, also wanting to say one word, and filling it with another. Also my voice is week. Sounds familiar.

I have this too all the time.after my mouth face throat and jaw joined the fibro party .This symptom of pain and weakness in these areas used to come and go after they originally hit in about 2010...3 years into fibro.

i would sometimes loose my voice or it would get hoarse with difficulty forming words ....sometimes it was worse during a general flare or when i was tired or stressed but then disappear for months or years.

I noticed i could no longer sing along to music..i had less power in the muscles and my diction got weak.

Then after a period of bad stress almost 3 years ago this symptom became worse and talking is now a luxury i cant do for long without needing ice on my face and jaw because its not only weak its extremely painful to talk for many minutes...of course i push through to have calls with my friends or my son but pay the price after.

Then i sit with bags of iced water i keep in the fridge to reduce the pain.

Like the rest of my body the more i do the worse it gets

I couldnt socialize anymore for this reason alone.

This illness seems to know no bounds as i didnt have any of this at the outset.

Sorry i dont have any tips i think just rest as and when needed as i believe it is part of fibro and an oral surgeon confirmed to me mine is...loosing your voice and clumsy weak throat mouth and tongue is another part of Fms CFS and ME

Last edited:
I do also when stressed or tired then my eye starts to twitch I feel so stupid. Words come out totally wrong or my mouth will not say what I'm thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back