Status
Not open for further replies.
I have walked more today around my garden and done a few little things like watering and a small amount of raking. I am hurting all over....every muscle burns and throbs and i know it doesnt compare to what most of you peeps can do but really im trying so hard as the pain now almost bringing me too tears.

The only thing is i can end the day like this anyway from doing nothing so best i do what i can...off now into warm shower and then my hot water bottles.

My dream is to get to about 5pm just one day in a level of pain that's tolerable.

@Diamond, this thread is not about what you can do compared to others. What is so important is what YOU can do. We all know the extreme effort it takes to expend effort in everyday tasks, never mind exercise. Pat yourself on the back for your efforts. You're moving around.

When I was recovering from spinal surgery years ago, my neuro surgeon instructed me NOT to sweep or mop the floor because the twisting motion was hard on the back and would impede my recovery. He pointed out that housework is hard on the body. The reason why I'm relaying this information is because we underestimate certain activities that are actually physical workouts. After a day of housework my body is complaining. I know that night along with the next day I will be exhausted and sore.

Same with gardening. After planting my garden and laying cement blocks I couldn't move for a couple days. However, I felt great mentally. I know it took huge effort compared to non-Fibro people, but I DID it. I'm running now, training for a 10km race, yesterday and today I feel like poo. So, I listen to my body and alter my workout to something less strenuous. The key is to do something instead of nothing. Anything we do that keeps us moving in some fashion is good.
Please don't compare your accomplishments to others. I'm proud of you for your efforts and successes. I know you suffer with a severe form of Fibro, so I'm even more proud of you because much more effort is involved. :)

Last edited:
Well, I did work out this morning, but I sure am paying for it for the rest of the day!

Guess I will keep it up, though, just to see if it gets better or not. My thought it to try to do at least a half hour at least four days a week for a month and if it doesn't get any easier then maybe it's not the right thing to do.

Ran today in my new runners. Outside of my left foot was sore in a way it shouldn't be. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on these so I'm returning them tomorrow. Obviously not the right fit. Last couple of days I'm fighting the Fibro fight. I hope this passes because I'm visiting my sister this weekend. She lives in BC and we've planned this visit for a month for trail runs and mountain biking. Supposed to drive there Friday. I may do very light workouts so as not to ruin my visit, or maybe nothing at all. Grrrr!

Today I warmed my aching muscles and joints then did some stretches. With inspiration from all of you, I went for a short walk to the end of my driveway and back. I have done four loads of washing and I'm now going to find my tiny little weights to start ever so slowly on my mission to tone up again. Thanks for the idea, sunkacola. I am totally in awe of your achievements, medicmurphy! To plan to run a marathon is way more than I could do but I'm going back to walking. My training shoes are just as I left them...in near new condition so I'm good to go. Well, that's my plan anyway.

Well done Peaceandquiet and thanks medicmurphy for the tips and encouragement.

YAY, peaceandquiet! Good job doing all of that!!

I remember once I read an article about a woman who was 75 years old when she realized that she could no longer lift the large bag of dog food she always bought.
She decided to do something about it and started lifting little 1 pound weights in her home every day.

Three years later she won a body building competition!!
Now, none of us want to win a body building competition.
But my point is that anyone, at any time, in any condition, can develop muscles simply by working them a tiny bit at first and then, when that becomes really easy to do, a little bit heavier until that becomes easy and so on.

Nev er over-do it with weights because that is counter-productive. Do the same exercises each day with very light weights until that becomes really easy to do. then go just one step up with the weights.
If you don't have 1 pound weights, use a can of food.

how do you use very light weights to strengthen your legs thighs and buttocks very gently... any advice for a very deconditioned body welcome.

Along with others have said, our nutrition need to be spot on. Protein is super important in cell regeneration, all the more so when weight training. Rest days are all essential for muscle repair. If weight are to be used everyday, choose a different muscle group. IE, leg day, arm and upper back day, etc. This allows the worked muscle group to rest and repair. In our excitement we want to guard against over training. This may sound silly when we Fibro suffers struggle everyday to move but yes, even at the begining of an exercise program we can over train.

Also, don't underestimate body weight training. If weights can not be used, perform the same movements with no weight with the goal of 1 lb weights.

Diamond: here is what I suggest for legs thighs and buttocks.
Start with no weights at all, or if you can then just use one pound weights or a can of food in each hand. If that is too easy, go up only one pound at a time in weight.

Legs: use a step of some kind. You can buy steps designed to be used for this, or else use a low bench or the stairs to your house. Just make sure what you use is VERY STABLE and will not tip over and dump you on the floor. Put a weight in each hand and step up on the step with one foot first, then the other, then step down again one foot at a time. repeat over and over. I always do 16 reps. Then change so that you are stepping up with the other foot first. If you actually have a set of stairs in your house, just go up and down the stairs holding weights in your hands. Go slowly, don't hurry.

Do lunges: holding weights, step forward with one foot as far as you can go comfortably and remain stable, dip the back leg down and back up again, return to having both legs together. change sides. Repeat. Do the same stepping back instead of front. It doesn't matter how far the lunge is or how low you dip. You can work up from a very slight lunge to a bigger one. Stop lunges altogether if it hurts your knees!

squats: stand with feet shoulder width apart and holding weights on your shoulders or at your sides, squat down with your chest up and your back straight, and come back up. repeat.

Very important things to remember:
Always keep your chest up, don't round your back
Keep your back straight and stick your butt out when you squat and only go down as far as you can comfortably
Move slowly and deliberately, focusing on proper form
If anything causes a sharp pain, stop doing it
ALWAYS warm up first by doing a little bit of light jogging in place or something like that, and always stretch your muscles out both before and after

For buttocks, the step and lunge exercises are very good and another one is to lie on your back with your lower back pressed into the floor and your knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Place weights over your hips and raise and lower your hips slightly off the floor, clenching your buttocks when you do it. Repeat.

If you want you can look up these exercises on line and see video that will show you proper form. Always concentrate very hard on making sure you are using the proper form or you can hurt yourself. Always squat when picking up any weight, even one pound; never round your back.

For a little variety in your exercise routine, you can also try this:

Link Not Allowed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
That's great Sunkacola,
Before my son's wedding I was using 2 or 3 lb weights to lift for my upper arms.Its good for us because we need to build our muscles because we can't use them all the time.

Your'e giving me encouragement to start my Pilates again.The hot weather does effect us in good ways and sometimes in bad ways.I'd rather have warm weather,but some days,it makes my weakness worse.

Sagey

Hi,

Diamond,I understand how small things we do physically effect us.I just tried to go grocery shopping, which I haven't done in awhile,but it was nice out and I wanted to go outside.I also love gardening, but I have to do a little each day or else I'm hurting too.

Well it's 5:30pm and I'm lying in bed in pain with a warm compress on my upper back,which is throbbing in pain.

I did carry a lot of bags which I probably shouldn't have,but at least I accomplished something lol.

Have a good day!

Sagey

Sagey I loved pilates when I did it years ago! It was fantastic for core strength and back stability. I've tried to do some leg circles just recently but it was too much for my poor old hips. Something to aim towards though so thanks for jogging my memory.
I've begun a very short routine for my arms with the weights and I realised that my abs were tightening in anticipation. Isn't it funny how such a small bit of exercise can have a flow-on effect? Maybe I'm doing it all wrong. I did study correct method first to be safe and I'm not overdoing it.
As for the walking.....not quite there yet.....soon though.

I am walking around my large living room for 10 or 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a day and up and down stairs too. I have had terrible pain in my coccyx spreading deep into my bottom for the last few months and now sitting is a problem. Its right down the centre and into my undercarriage ( sorry for graphic) and burns and throbs with sharp stabbing pain.

I'm determined to keep up the exercise but anyone else had bad pain in there coccyx daily.?.i keep twisting sideways to get off it...then end up with pain in my hips instead. Joys of fibro.

Well done Sagey for shopping....thank goodness for heating pads hot water bottles and hot compresses!

Peaceandquiet i too have been using a tin of beans to help with my arm strength......well done..i hope you can manage a little walking soon.

Gentle hugs to all my fibro friends x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back