Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
hedon
While I still have a degree of CF in Summer, it is by far worse in winter. Luckily it is mid March now and my SAD is almost gone. Having both CF and SAD can sometimes make winters really bad. Does anyone else have both and wish to share their experiences?

Here in North Dakota, season affective disorder is a fairly common problem during the winters because the winters last about 6 months and get extremely cold and snowy. It's also amplified by the fact that summers can get extremely hot, where it's always very sunny and close to or over 100ºF every day for about 4 months. So when we get sun, we get too much, and when we go without it, we go without sun too long. A few people who are close to me suffer from SAD, and it's nearly impossible to keep a healthy relationship with them during the winter because they're so manic, depressed, and desperate. In the summer they are stable and often pretty fun. These people also complain about their bodies so much more in the winter, complaining about stiffness, aching, laziness, and general pain.

I'm not from ND, and I don't think I've been here long enough to develop SAD. I also don't think I'm as prone to it because I've always been mostly mentally stable, no matter the circumstance. I lived on the Oregon coast for many years, and I actually loved how rainy it was. However, I do know that my CF is MUCH worse in winter here in ND. I think it's because my body is spending its energy trying to keep me warm and then I have no energy left to function with. I also find I have less motivation in the winter here, and waste my time so much more in the winter.

That said, I have been disappointed with myself in the last few days. The sun has FINALLY popped out, it's been around 60ºF for a few days. While it's mentally and physically felt really good, it hasn't given me more energy yet. It makes me want to go outside and lay in the sun rather than take a walk.

I usually get pretty major SAD in the long winter months, I think it's because it's dark so much and just gloomy outside, there isn't much to do and I get really cooped up. It just makes me want to stay in bed all day, which isn't a good feeling. But last winter I was prepared, and I started taking high doses of Vitamin D. Seriously it made all the difference in the world, it was like day and night, and I felt like I was alive again.

My fibromyalgia pain and fatigue seem to be worse in the summer months. However, it could be due to the fact that I stopped my medication for 4 months and have been supplementing. It worked great for 4 months. I was working 40 hour weeks on my feet lifting things, going out like a normal person until it hit me like a ton of bricks a few weeks ago. I am now dealing with either going on disability or losing my job because of the fatigue and pain. I am now on a new medication which makes me more drowsy and foggy. But what I noticed from last summer to this summer is the heat. We bought an air conditioner which helps me sleep at night because my body temp spikes at night. The signs of inflammation are redness heat and pain. Which explains why my temperature changes and running a fever every night. In school, I learned that for an injury ice is indicated to reduce inflammation while heat at early stages can make the inflammation worse which is why I think my flares are worse in the summer because I can't change the weather. Lol. However heat and hot baths feel so wonderful for a fibromyalgia patient but are hot baths making it worse?

Depression and fatigue are already closely link, so I would say this makes very good sense that the chronic fatigue symptoms are heightened during a time of increased depression. For me, it is quite obvious. The lack of sun in winter months leaves me feeling entirely drained and uninterested. That leads me to doing less, and as a result feeling more tired/that lack of energy. I do my best to keep my mind and body busy with activities as that seems to keep me going!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back