Reason
Friend
Diagnosis
05/1990
Country
US
State
ID
My husband will go on these sugar binges where he just eats A LOT of sugary sweets. I don't understand it and honestly eating that much sugar at one time would make me sick. He does it and then he goes to sleep.

My husband actually has this bad habit of needing to sleep any time he eats a lot, but sugar is the worst.

He also just sleeps a lot more than I think a person should in general. I know he is in a lot of pain because of the rod in his leg though. Is there anything I could do?

I hope that your husband is not diabetic. Too much sugar can make you sleepy and cause fatigue. Is there anyway you could break him off eating so much sugar, by using (stevia). Like puting it in his coffee in place of sugar. Using (agava) instead of sugar in baked goods. Warning him of the dangers of heart disease and clogged veins from eating things high in fat.

Please check out the topic heading for alternatives and see if any of the posts there may be helpful to you. We have a post going that talks about sugar and it's dangers I will try and find it and post a link to that discussion in the forum. :)

http://www.fibromyalgiaforums.org/forum/chronic-fatigue/22913-sugar.html

He goes to sleep right after he binges? A lot of sugar can cause a big high and then a big crash.

Does he have a sedentary lifestyle? Or is he depressed? Some people sleep more when they're bored. You also sleep a lot when you're depressed. I'm not sure why he has a rod in his leg but pain can be very depressing. Also, actual sugar cravings can be due to the adrenal gland being over stressed. This can be caused by many things and are worth looking into.

Good luck!

DLWright, I suffer from insulin resistance and I must admit I also like to sugar binge once a week. I'm sooooooooo ashamed of this! I used to feel so sleepy right after that, until I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and got a treatment for it. I had to stop it because of the nasty side effects Metformin had in me... So I began treating in naturally with a chromium supplement, it worked, but recently I found out chromium can cause cancer. I began drinking prickly pear juice instead...it helped before, now I'm hoping it will do the same for me, but you never know because back then I didn't suffer from this.

Your husband should definitely get checked... feeling sleepy after meals isn't normal at all. There is actually a syndrome that can kick in when you age, specially if you haven't been careful with what you eat... can't remember the name right now! But this syndrome causes insulin resistance, mine was triggered by darn PCOS. If you don't treat this... there is a big chance your husband could become diabetic.

Try convincing him to start a healthier diet. If he eats food that are bad for him then he will feel it in his body. It will be hard to transition so start him off slow with other sweet alternatives like fruit smoothies. The more fresh foods that you put in his diet, the more his body will start to crave it. Take it slow and try out different things. I use to feel sleepy after meals and I ate ALOT of sweets. After trying some good wholesome meals, my body did not crave junk as much and I did not feel so tired after eating. Hope everything gets better with your husband.

DLWright: I forgot to add that whatever you do... don't try to solve everything with artificial sweeteners! They do more harm than good in the end, yes, even Stevia! So to start search other alternatives... I use honey instead of sugar to sweeten my things. I stopped using Stevia because my adrenals were taking the toll... plus I started craving sugar more than ever! I'd advice you to help your husband decrease the amount of sweet things he consumes, that way it will start becoming an habit and he won't feel deprived. That's what I'm doing... I went from drinking 4 sodas a week to just 2! Not bad considering I could drink 4 liters a week before!

Indeed, too much sugar in the body will make you more sluggish and tired. He should really find a way to reduce his sugar intake. In case he starts to crave for anything sweet, he should turn to fruits instead. You also have to help him by controlling the food available in your house. Do not stock on a lot of sweets so that nobody will get tempted to eat them. This is rather difficult to do at the beginning and he may feel a bit depressed when he is not able to take in sweets, but he will be able to get used to it after some time.

It is known that when someone is too full, it tends to pull down the body and so a person feels so sleepy. The same with sweets. What you can do is actually motivate him to drink a lot as he eats a lot of sweets because at least the water will help to flush out the excess sugar easily and it won't have that much of a bad effect on the body. Also, it may be worthwhile to let him drink hot tea at the same time because that will help calm off his cravings and he won't end up consuming a lot of sweets.

Yes I eat a lot of sugar also of late . Then i go to sleep. It is not healthy but I just feel tired. I need to start eating healthier or I will regret it when I am diagnosed with diabetes.

It certainly is not a healthy habit that he is engaging in, I'm sure he is at least aware of that, but maybe not quite ready to make a change for the better? Sugar can be addicting! Personally, I have to stop all together if I've been on a high-sugar/sweet streak.

It certainly is not a healthy habit that he is engaging in, I'm sure he is at least aware of that, but maybe not quite ready to make a change for the better? Sugar can be addicting! Personally, I have to stop all together if I've been on a high-sugar/sweet streak.

Well diabetes is the number one thing your husband and you should be concerned about. He should definitely get his blood sugar checked and stop sweets altogether. I stopped drinking soda and drink a water enhancer called Mio which has sucralose as a sweetener. But still I eat a lot of sugar and need to make adjustments on that . But I am working on it . Your husband needs to do the same . Sleeping too much is a problem but it is not dangerous like ingesting too much sugar. Sugar is poison for our bodies.

I'm not sure why, but I went through a STARCH stage. I would wake up always around 2-3 and get up to fix not one, but two pieces of toast and butter. This went on for 6 months. Yes, I gained weight because the starch would break down into sugar. I know my issue was one of comfort. It's not that I was hungry, just became routine. I am now dieting without sugar and starches. I have alot of headaches, but have lost 10 lbs in 10 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back