Not open for further replies.

owlcity

Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
Iowa
I am in such severe pain constantly. Pain medication does not work unless it is strong and I will not take that because I do not want to be out of it. Those kind of medications are just not an option in my book. I currently take topiramate but feel it really does not work. I would really appreciate any help or advice. My pain is primarily in my shoulders wrists hands and elbows. My knees and hips hurt but not as bad.My skin also has that achy feel constantly. I have been diagnosed with FM and I have tried many things. Thanks for your help.

I been though the medication merry go round and am still trying to find something that works better than I'm on. Someone here says they use turmeric for pain. I've heard it's very good for inflammation and I use it a lot in my food but am gonna look onto it further. Does it come in tablet form and what kind of amounts /dosage should one use?
Definitely gonna investigate

I've been recently introduced to the benefits of taking flax seed oil...particularly for joint pain. I currently take 3-1000mg tablets a day and I'm hoping to see some benefits from it. I also notice that if I slack on my other vitamins..mostly the B vitamins and calcium/D3 my pain increases.

It can take years to find a treatment plan that works for you. I know that isn't heartening, but I'm also having a very hard time finding things that work reliably without drugging myself into oblivion and knowing that it's normal to have a lot of failures keeps me trying.

I don't have a lot of advice that isn't out there already, but reading through these forums has already given me at least 6 months more of things to try. (Tumeric, increased B and D, etc) Keep reading, keep learning, and keep trying. Be honest with yourself about results, and take it easy. You will find something if you keep looking. :)

Hey there Owlcity,
I am sorry to hear your in so much pain. I have found that sometimes more drugs you take the more you need. The posts above me have given good suggestions and I will add here what I take for pain in my muscles.

Believe it or not the best pain reliever for me is Excedrin migraine pills. I take 2 pills in the morning when I get up and within thirty minutes my pain is mostly gone. I also use ginger root capsules. 550 mg, take 1 capsule 2-4 times daily. It helps with inflamation in the muscles.

In other areas of the forum I have given other ideas for sleeping better at night by getting a fiber or feather filled pad to put on top of your mattress to give you a soft comfortable bed.

Try a vibrating pad that is long enough to lay down on or get massages from someone who knows about fibro.
You want gentle massages for your muscles.

When nothing else works ask your doctor about phyical therapy. They have tools like ultsound that relax the muscles.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hi Owlcity -

I am in the same boat as you are. I was diagnosed almost a year ago and have been on so many different medications I can't even count them all. I was recently told by my doctor that I have successfully failed all the traditional treatments for fibro. We tried prednizone as an alternative and all that did was make me gain weight. I am currently on a 7 day pain patch called butrans which helps a little but isn't something I want to be on long term. I've been told multiple times by different people that everyone needs to find their own "cocktail" which takes time and patience. Just know you are not alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back