DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
NY
It's only just another day with fibro.

Walk around with my clothing inside out to avoid irritation : just another day with fibro.

Fallen as sleep on the toilet : It's simply just another day with fibro

Having dinner at 7am not pm : That's just another day with fibro.

Wondering why my toothpaste tastes kinda like face washing cream : yep, what can I say, it's just another day with fibro.

Hi Tipnatee,

Boy, can I relate. I find myself walking back into a room three or more times trying to remember why?

This topic is a good one as well. I sit here typing away and pause for a moment and my eyes snap shut and I am half asleep only realizing it before my head hits the key board or I nearly fall out of my chair.

I am like bluesky13, I go upstairs to get something and come downstairs to remember the two things I needed so I go back upstairs and lay the items on my bed, then go back downstairs either with one item or a totally different item, or nothing at all.

Today I took bills to mail & a box to send out to the post office to mail. Picked up the box and walked into the post office and mailed it. Then I got back in my car, with bills to mail on front seat, not noticed of course until I got home. So I need to go back tomorrow. LOL

My and my husband's biggest fear is that I will forget where I'm going while driving to work. I drive 100 miles round trip, 5 days a week. There are times that I don't remember the drive and next thing you know I am at the location I'm supposed to be. Scary. :-(

bluesky13,
What you are experiencing is a form of being unaware of your surrounding which is dissociation. It is either a mild condition or it can be severe in some people so read the following information about this condition.

Dissociation is a disconnection between a person’s thoughts, memories, feelings, actions or sense of who he or she is. This is a normal process that everyone has experienced. Examples of mild, common dissociation include daydreaming, highway hypnosis or “getting lost” in a book or movie, all of which involve “losing touch” with awareness of one’s immediate surroundings.

Treatment typically involves psychotherapy. Therapy can help people gain control over the dissociative process and symptoms. The goal of therapy is to help integrate the different elements of identity. Therapy may be intense and difficult as it involves remembering and coping with past traumatic experiences. Cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavioral therapy are two commonly used types of therapy. Hypnosis has also been found to be helpful in treatment of dissociative identity disorder.

Other forms of this condition:
Amnesia refers to the inability to recall important personal information that is so extensive that it is not due to ordinary forgetfulness. Most of the amnesias typical of dissociative disorders are not of the classic fugue variety, where people travel long distances, and suddenly become alert, disoriented as to where they are and how they got there. Rather, the amnesias are often an important event that is forgotten, such as abuse, a troubling incident, or a block of time, from minutes to years. More typically, there are micro-amnesias where the discussion engaged in is not remembered, or the content of a conversation is forgotten from one moment to the next.

People with dissociative amnesia usually report a gap or series of gaps in their recollection of their life history. The gaps are usually related to episodes or abuse or equally severe trauma. In this way, like with dissociation in general, dissociative amnesia is definitely a survival mechanism and serves to protect the individual from material that might have been to overwhelming to cope with.
It is important to understand that dissociative amnesia serves a protective function. It protects the individual from the consequences of extreme trauma and catastrophic fear. the flip side is that memory loss can prevent the development of appropriate coping mechanisms, such as managing painful emotions. Remember, even if traumatic events or painful emotions are not remembered, they are often impacting you adversely at some level.

Derealization is the sense of the world not being real. Some people say the world looks phony, foggy, far away, or as if seen through a veil. Some people describe seeing the world as if they are detached, or as if they were watching a movie.

Most commonly, repetitive childhood physical and/or sexual abuse and other forms of trauma are associated with the development of dissociative disorders (e.g., Putnam, 1985). In the context of chronic, severe childhood trauma, dissociation can be considered adaptive because it reduces the overwhelming distress created by trauma. However, if dissociation continues to be used in adulthood, when the original danger no longer exists, it can be maladaptive. The dissociative adult may automatically disconnect from situations that are perceived as dangerous or threatening, without taking time to determine whether there is any real danger. This leaves the person “spaced out” in many situations in ordinary life, and unable to protect themselves in conditions of real danger.

One of the core problems for the person with a dissociative disorder is affect dysregulation, or difficulty tolerating and regulating intense emotional experiences. This problem results in part from having had little opportunity to learn to soothe oneself or modulate feelings, due to growing up in an abusive or neglectful family, where parents did not teach these skills. Problems in affect regulation are compounded by the sudden intrusion of traumatic memories and the overwhelming emotions.

The development of dissociative disorders in adulthood appears to be related to the intensity of dissociation during the actual traumatic event(s); severe dissociation during the traumatic experience increases the likelihood of generalization of such mechanisms following the event(s). The experience of ongoing trauma in childhood significantly increases the likelihood of developing dissociative disorders in adulthood.

Both acute stress disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)may involve dissociative symptoms, such as amnesia and depersonalization or derealization.

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely keep an eye on my symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back