Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
CA
State
Manitoba
So, haven't been here for awhile, life just plugged along. Have had some more physical issues develop. Beento doctors, same old stuff . now Iam going to lose my job, can not accommodate me or help me.
64 and will have to sell my home everything and go somewhere. No disability here, in Canada you have to have 1 foot in the grave and up to a year to review your case. So, there u go. A life of working , living , Kids, every one else's problems, for it all to end this way. I hope for others that come along , that doctors and governments get their crap together and recognize that this is a disease and for a lot of us devastating.

Dear Catlady i am so sorry that sound an awful position to be in. Disability is not easy in the UK either but from what i have read on this site it seems even harder in Canada and the US.

Is there no period of time in which a doctor can sign you unfit for work that you can get a very basic payment for sickness while you start the disability process or is there some sort of state pension if you have been a working lady for years and are now reaching retirement age.

I am probably talking double dutch as i am drawing comparisons with our own social security system.

I hate to think of you so poorly and having to sell your home......that must mean a lot of homeless sick people in your country as loads of people get illnesses that render them unable to work???

I hope something changes...maybe family would step in with a solution....or could you rent a rooms out in your house to bring in any income.

Just suggestions forgive me if i sound like i am simplifying things i am sure you have racked your brains for a way to manage.

Take CAre x

Thank you Willow, even if Igot some kind of disability, it would not keep me afloat. Only the government disability pension
Would help, even if Icould get a doctor to file for me I would be 65, by the time it was approved and would get my. Government pension anyway.
It is not much money, I wanted to keep working even part time , but my hands are now giving out with chronic tendonitis
All my savings are gone, familyhave problems themselves , they are working several jobs just to keep their families together
The worst part is being dismissed by doctors co- workers . what I hear is if your that sick then you should quit
If fibro is not recognized, you can't get welfare because they deem you able to work. So you see it is just merry go round.
I would have to have something terrible happen that would leave me physically damaged, accident, heart attack etc.
Homelessness is quite prominent . have been icing my hands and voltaen and Advil so I can go to work today.
Have a long evening shift to go. Thanks again for your reply

Oh catlady my heart goes out to you...it's so unfair. You want to work but aren't well enough ..and really are just as disabled by pain as if you had been in an accident.

In theory i believe fibro has just been recognized by US as an illness with it's own category. I am not sure if this means its now recognized worldwide for disability...but you know your own system and situation.

Take Care xx

Cat lady I am so sorry for you! Being ill is enough of a challenge. I just downsized myself due to no longer being able to work. I cried to say goodbye to my old house even tho I know I take all the happy memories with me. I don't know how long you will need to go through t he grieving process. It must be done at each person's own pace.

Hugs from me to you are coming through the cloud. Please le us know how you are doing as you go through this process.

multijo

This has been one of the most difficult transitions of my life but I am appreciating how little I have to look after. I don't know if it is too soon for you to see any positive thoughts on that at this time and I apologize you feel like a s

Oh dear catlady, I have no answers for you, I myself have shed many tears. I did want to say how sorry I am for your situation. Fibromyalgia is the devil in diguise, robbing people of everything. It is bad enough to be living with such pain, but to give up working, your home and I'm sure a little more freedom...it is not fair, it is not right and it is not acceptable. One day Canada and the US will acknowledge it as being just as deabilitating as other disseses. We are the generation that is opening doors. Life is not fair, never has been, but you situation is one that truly stinks. I'll cry with you, send up prayes for you and next week or the week after you can dry you eyes, pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get on with being stronger then most people you've ever met because that's what we do. We are fibromyalgia survivors. We never get better we just grow stonger and wiser. May blessing fall upon you and know that your not alone.

Very well said!!!

Thank you for your words of support. Very much appreciated. Still have my job for now, no accommodation for my hand problems. Work or don't work. Going to physio next week to see if there is anything else I can do.
If not, then I work until my hand fails. Doctor told me to learn to use my left hand, even though it has carpal tunnel syndrome. Yesterday woke up with a rash on my face, swollen hot and itchy. Still there today. Feel very ill too. Don't know when all will fall down , just live day to day. At least it was beautiful weather this weekend. Good to feel the sun and warmth. Trying to hang in there. Thanks again

It is a pitiful situation, isn't it, that most people including those in government only come to appreciate the ravages and complications posed by fibromyalgia when they are afflicted or affected. Fibromyalgia advocacy groups should come out into the limelight to attempt to influence the political agenda to their cause.

I'm so sorry for you :( I can't even imagine how you must feel, but I just want you to know you are not alone. I hate how this horrible chronic pain comes with so many other things as well, and how as time passes things seem to get worse. But we have to hang in there. I truly wish people start taking this disease seriously, this terrible invisible disease. It's truly awful. I wish you the best, please keep us informed about your situation. I'll keep you in my prayers!

:sad: not much has changed since I last posted. Went to physiotherapy said i had nerve damage, given exercises to do. No improvement.
After two days working the pain is back. Stress from work, had to go out on gravel roads to a client
Got having to drive through wet gravel and mud, my van was packed to the wheel wells , now the shop
told me the sway bar bushings have gravel in them and I will need
to fix that sometime , it crunch's when I drive. More expence, money I don't have.
Have been going back in my journals, have found that I have had these rashes
On myy face, chest and arms five times before, ?maybe lupus, not fibro
Still no one here believes you. There is a new doctor coming here this summer, a new young guy,
Maybe try him, so anyway, thank you for the kind words and support. As for work , told work or don't work .
Not their problem.

Sorry cat lady for your troubles and ailments. Maybe, since you have to sell everything and try to start over, it would be good to move to another part of Canada? I've never been, but looking it up, it looks like its dominated by very labor-intensive industries?

Just something for consideration, and you probably are aware of this, but the government gives out grants; there's the Canada-Manitoba Job Grant. If you look it up, this is something from the website: "The Canada-Manitoba Job Grant is an employer-driven approach to help Manitobans gain the skills they need to fill available jobs and to help employers develop the skills of their existing workers to meet the requirements of their present job, or to move into a better job. Eligible employers may apply for up to $10,000 for each individual worker to assist with training costs."

I think it would be worth it to find out which companies are getting this grant. Maybe, being at least partially disabled, you can apply for a job less
physical, that they could train you for.

That is my 2-cents, hope it turns out profitable for you. Prayers going out to you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back