Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
iowa
I'm at the end of my rope. I have a co worker that is so negative it brings me down causing more pain stress and fatigue and depression. I've asked several times to be moved away from. My own boss wishes she would quit but they can't move me by the way there are plenty of places to move me to. Their solutions is for me to move across temporary but all my things are at my desk. Hr has been involved but since I can't prove anything they won't do anything. I'm at my breaking I packed all my personal items took them with when I lefted work. I had to make a stop at the doctors office after work to pick a script for more pains and the nurse made me see the doctor because I was a wreck the doctor wrote me note for the next couple. I do have FMLA but that's just for doctors appts. I need suggestions on how to make them have no choice to move me.

You need your doctor's support. FMLA can be for time off due to stress you are under. It sounds like a hostile work environment. Use those words. Your physician can indicate that you have a condition that excessive stress increases health problems. You just need to know they may work hard to NOT give you what you want because you are strong-arming them. But, they will have to come up with something.

I worked HR for a number of years and was a manager for about 20 years. My suggestion? Privately (do not share this with anyone) start documenting what is happening. Date, time and incident. If your boss is saying she wishes she'd quit tell her to do something about it. Document that your boss said it! It's her responsibility to make your work environment safe and productive, but it sounds like your boss is in a position she does not have the skills for.

Is this a small or large company? Consider applying for something different.

Don't ever think that you have no choice. We always have a choice. Leave the company if need be. Start looking. Maybe something better will open up. Good luck to you!.....

My employer is a very big company, I have documented and told them about this they tell it is just my perception because she has never really said things to me and done things to me. She just has poor me syndrome and I just can't tolerate that negative. They just don't seem to understand she girl was separated from the department she was working with because she couldn't get along with anyone so I got stuck with her. Can I get a doctors note to force them to move me to a less stressful environment. and if I can how would I have that doctors worded. I had to get a note because it was to cold in the room but they had me just temporary sit across the hall which means I could only take my pen and some paper and if I needed something which I always did I was running back and forth for things. My desk feels homey and makes me more relaxed because I have pictures of my family around me. I just feel like they think that this person can't be causing me to have more problems with my diagnosis. Thank you for your response look forward to speaking with you again

Dear Bloomermj, Terbaer's advice is wonderful. If you have already moved your stuff from the room, start moving things one by one.. getting into comfort zone anywhere is also a difficult trait to overcome. Can you use an iphone to listen to music at work? I am from a creative field and we would sometimes all sit in a studio listening to our respective music... is that a possibility?

hello, as a manager of over 300 people per night. i agree with terbaer. if you have the documentation HR should handle this for you.
FMLA is for many things. Go to HR and tell them you need this resolved and the ball is in their court. set an appointment with the HR rep for two weeks from the date you tell the rep this. you will then need to set an appointment with your manager. not just walking in the office and saying i have
a problem with so and so.set the appointment right away as HR will be calling the manager. bring all your notes with two copies. in the meeting read all the notes to the manager, one copy of your notes for the manager to put in your folder. have the mgr sign the notes and date it. over all its the managers responsibility to resolve this in a timely manner. its your responsibility to have a RESOLVE to this problem, not just a complaint.

as a manager i can do many things to help you. with 300 people and many crips and bloods working together i have learned a lot. you are never
going to make every one happy. seams giving you a place to work in another area is a good step by the manager.also a good out the Mgr to HR as he/she has tried to give you some kind of help. not sure why you cant move your stuff there to work.
if this area is just for you to get calm, then you are not expected to work during this time.
you must tell your manager that this area is not working and document it. remember the manger is on your side right now,try to keep it that way.
if the manager agrees and would like her to quit then Mgr needs to do something. document what this person is saying and doing to you and the people around you. better if its not just you being affected. the Mgr can put her on a pip(personal improvement plan) plan to get her out fast. can be 30 days or 1 year its up to the manager. if you have vacation days take them as FMLA will take them. your pay while on FMLA is up to the Mgr. remember you may not get paid at all if the MGR wants it that way or HR. as texas is a right to work state, i could fire anyone at any time for no reason at all. i prefer the PIP to give the employee a chance to improve. once that is complete if the employee goes back to the same problem. he/she can be fired on the spot at any time after the PIP.

now remember if they do move you and you have another problem with someone like you do with this one. you are the one out the door.

Bloomermj, you absolutely can get a note from your physician about your health and that working in a hostile work environment is creating an increase in stress and that you have a health condition that flares up in that type of environment. You don't have the doc ask to have you moved. You just have the doc state the fact that it's a hostile work environment and that it's impacting your health. Let HR come up with a solution. If they come up with a solution, they are working with you. If you tell them what to do, it puts them on the defense because they may decide to do something different. Maybe it's her that gets moved. You said in an earlier post that she had been moved before because she was having trouble working with others (or something to that effect). Well, guess they better not stick her in your work group because if they don't do something after those words are documented, then they leave themselves open to lawsuit by you my friend. If they treat you like the problem then it can be perceived as retaliation for making them do something. Either way you would have a case......worst case scenario. Best case scenario and if they are good at their jobs, they will remove her and place her elsewhere and you can go back to doing what you do.

I still say, keep your options open too!....Good luck and keep us posted....

So I get to meet with HR, and my manger plus my supervisor and someone else in HR I feel a little under attack. But I have a doctors note stating a need a less stressful situation and less stressful environment also climate control and a more quiet work area. So we will see where that gets me but I still feel like I am under attacked when all I wont is help with this situation. More stress got to love it.

i know you feel that way, be strong!
they are all there because they want to help you. all their jobs are on the line here as well.
as terbaer said you have a strong case to sue them. work with them. when your done with each meeting document the time date
who was in the meeting,how long it lasted and what and who was said in the meeting.do it asap after the meeting, dont wait. this is very important.
im sure they are meeting with the problem child too. be aware and stay away from her at all times. document right away what she tells you. if she continues to bother you, tell her you have been instructed not to talk about this until it is resolved.

sometimes in a case like yours, they promote you and move you out of your group. just work with them and document everything every day from here on.

stay strong and stay away from her.

I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted.....Take care....

Boomer, how did it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back